1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception/ year 1 mix....How does it work?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by edwinsprint, Dec 7, 2019.

?

Do Rec/Yr 1 mix classes work?

1. Yep

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. edwinsprint

edwinsprint New commenter

I have got an interview with with a mixed reception year 1 class vacancy as a possibility. The head teacher seems great and the school seemed extremely creative.
    I have taught eyfs for 7 years and year 1 for 2 years. My current school is a really nice infant school but it has been taken over by a multi Academy Trust 3 years ago and they are a complete nightmare. Everyone feels very insecure about the amount of unfair criticism we are having and there is huge distrust about the underhand tactics used by people above the head teacher. That is why the head teacher is leaving at Christmas.

I am prepared to drop down to the main pay scale just to get out.

I am just wondering if I can manage the timetabling and organisation of of reception and year 1 one without being a massive ball of stress like I have been in the last year or so.

I'm just concerned that maybe I am jumping ship too fast and should hold on on for a straight year 1 post?

Or maybe my confidence has been so shattered that I really need to just go for it it as it is a fixed term contract with a view to extended and if I don't like it I can just leave in July.

2. yorkshiregirl1

yorkshiregirl1 New commenter

I worked in a reception/year 1 class for two years. It certainly has it's challenges. Running two different curriculum's alongside each other is not easy. I felt that the reception children at times missed out on my teacher time as the year 1's had to achieve their expectations. Fortunately I had excellent support staff and we worked as a very tight team and I think that's what makes the difference. If you have that sort of team it is do-able. On the positive front the reception children very very ready to move up to year 1 as they had seen the children working and at times joined in with them.
    Good luck if you decide to go for this job.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

These parts of your post jump out as being the reason you should definitely go to the interview and sell yourself. No need to drop down the payscale, the interviewing school don't know that and will offer you a salary they want to pay and it is up to you to negotiate to one you are happy to accept.

A trickier job at a supportive school you love, is much less stressful than a simpler job at a nightmare school you dread going to.

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If you're ready to move on and this sounds up your street, just go for it.
    Are there other mixed classes in your LA? If you were to get the job, it will be good to link with them for support and networking.

Good luck. My grandson was in a mixed class in reception and we were a bit worried but he loved it and still got lots of play opportunities in year one when he was mixed again.