1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception to Year 1 transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jennisewell, May 27, 2011.

1. please could I also have a copy. I am a year 1 teacher but would love to share ideas and compare if you don't mind?! it really is very very kind of you!
    janeyrobbo@yahoo.co.uk
    cheers.

2. I am a newly qualified teacher and I would love anything which you may have. My email is

k.simpson.08@aberdeen.ac.uk

Thanks

3. jclinch

jclinch New commenter

4. jennie_bl

jennie_bl New commenter

Please could I have a copy too. We are trying to make year 1 less formal next year and I would love some ideas!

jennie_bl@hotmail.com

Thanks xxxx

5. Please could I have a copy too? fumbluff@gmail.com
    Thank you!

6. We are changing our planning to reflect the Reception setting this year. I would be very interested to see how you do it, so jumping on the bandwagon, too. Thank you for sharing :)

hennalady@gmail.co.uk

7. BestIcanbe, Can i ask something?
    How do you ensure your children are challenged appropriately in your play-based learning style?
    We work a little to this style of learning - for the first few half terms of Y1 we work with one group at a time and the other groups access activities that have been set up to support learning - but whilst these activities are free-flow choice, they are quite structured (Ie zoo animals would be out with paper and pencils and the task "What do the zoo animals need?") and they are expected to do them all over the day. The problem is even with high expectations being made clear, children rush these activities and it does not actually DEVELOP their writing .
    I suppose it is good for social skills, imagination etc and practicing skills that have been previously learnt, but how do you use your free-flow learning to stretch your more able for example, without giving them quite strict guidelines on what to do (at which point it becomes an adult initiated task). Or do your activities become quite structured towards the end of the year?
    Im just not sure how it enables the children to reach their full potential, as in order to do this they need lots of actual teaching of new skills and time to apply these...so I am intrigued how you organise/plan your areas to really support Y1 learning.

8. Can I possibly join the gang and also have a copy?
    I'm year 3 moving to mixed year 1/2. And if you need anything in return please do ask,
    Thanks
    Grace
    grace3784@hotmail.com

9. Really appreciate u sending these to me its been really helpful. Thank u

10. i am an ex headteacher returning to teach Y1 in september and i would love to get the info on the play based approach

11. Hi Besticanbe,

I have been searching for ages for a post like this, if you wouldn't mind, please can you email me that info too? My email is l_acharya@hotmail.com

Thank you so much!

12. impulce...I think you've outlined my main concern too. I assume that while the independent activities don't develop new skills, it gives the children TIME to put into practice new skills they are learning after group activities. I understand what you mean about children rushing tasks, and I'm also concerned some children will see it as an opportunity to mess around.

besticanbe how do you deal with children who are drawn to the same areas every day?

13. Hi BestIcanbe
    Firstly, can I thank you for being so positive about Year 1 - I am moving from Year 4 into Year 1 in a small school (from a large one) and I would love to know what best practice is, especially practice that has been so glowingly endorsed by Ofsted. If you can bear to forward onto another teacher - I would love to make as much difference to my class as you have obviously made to yours. Many thanks, my email is carrie2158@gmail.com

14. We make sure every child is challenged and engaged through our child centred approach, and by giving them some control over their learning environment. This isn't total control (as in YR), but it is enough to keep them engaged and purposeful. The free flow system (after our whole class learning sessions) allow us to work directly and indirectly with each child, and this interaction and observation allows us to plan next steps for children each day. We meed for 15 minutes at the end of each day, and my TA comes to meet me for the last 30 minutes of my PPA time each week so that we can go over the learning intentions and possibilities. We have issue next steps on each piece of work (see my long original reply), but in reality it's far more often. For example, our HAPs and G&T children are often given daily targets for writing or numeracy. We make sure these are open enough for them to work on in several different areas of the indoor or outdoor classroom, but they are happy to take a clip board and push themselves in their favourite places. G&T children (3 this year) all have a specific IEP's to suit there needs and ensure they are extended, and HAP's for numeracy have a specific and additional task on Thursdays, and HAP's for literacy have the same on Fridays. This task is also out for anyone to complete, and it's amazing to see other children extending themselves when they consider it.
    Throughout the year the children have naturally progressed and extended themselves. This has been far more evident because every child can choose to do work they want to do (nobody is sitting thinking I don't like this, I'm not good at this etc.) All of the children know that our expectations are high, and that we value best efforts. From January we really zone in and tell children that there work wont be put forward for next steps unless we know it's their best. It's very rare that we have to use our rewards/sanctions policy in relation to tasks/effort.
    The children all know that staff are very aware of what their best looks like, as we have a Key Person approach, and each week we have a 'book look' with the children to talk about what they have been doing and to confirm they know what the next steps expected of them are. Every now and again I have to say "is that your best work? should we do our book look early and check?"...but not by this point in the year.
    As for tasks, I have adult directed tasks in each zone, and the children have to do a certain amount of them (also see my long post), but the work (especially writing) that they do independently is of a far higher quality and length. When I prescribe what to write they think there is a right and wrong, so they stop when they know they have achieved the objective rather than extending their thinking and running with something even more fantastic that I haven't 'asked' them specifically.
    At this point in the year, my MAP and HAP children often move around the room completing every task and producing pages and pages of independent writing. Today, for instance, we had a story station set up in the literacy area with several objects out to inspire writing. I received 34 pieces of writing in the in-tray...I only had 28 children in today!
    I must say that the whole school places a very high value on writing and numeracy. For instance, we have a living writing wall, as do YR. We have a current piece of writing (however emergent it is in the Autumn term for YR!) next to a photo of each child. They love watching their latest piece of independent writing go up on the wall, and when they see the teacher putting up lots of pieces each day they want theirs to be up to date too. Even in YR the children hunt out purposes to write on a daily basis. We only set this system up this year and we've had to limit the changing of writing to once a day as children wrote far more than we expected!
    We've never had such a huge amount of work generated in every subject, and we've never had such high numeracy or literacy (reading and writing) levels in both classes at the end of the year.
    It all comes down to the observations and interactions you make. On each of the constant provision sheets it lists the 'role of the adult' - if a child can do more we scaffold through talk or other means, and if a child asks for something we use our enhancement system to make it happen. Today in our role play area a child asked if they could write a letter to the local high school asking for an extra resource from a 'grown up science lab' to help them learn...the child wrote the letter, I took it to the high school after school, and a Y11 is coming tomorrow afternoon to deliver it and spend some time in the area showing the children how to use it. It's that kind of thing that keeps the children in control and looking for real purpose. You need at least 2 or 3 adults all working flat out to make this work for 30 children after a whole class learning input, but it's just amazing to see the results.

15. WOW! Long reply....sorry! :)

16. Hi Besticanbe, I 'm an NQT starting with year 1 in September and I would really appreciate it if you could send it to me too. My email is k1008389@kingston.ac.uk Thank you so much!