1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception timetable - phonics / literacy!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss.hendo, Aug 5, 2013.

1. What horror? The problem I see with paper and pencil exercises is that it requires multiple skills when you might want to focus in on one skill, especially in the early stages. Additionally, children with poor motor skills can find it frustrating that although they have some knowledge they cannot show it efficiently if required to write it. This can prevent the paper and pencil activity from being fit for purpose, core and focused.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

so you are in favour of paper and pencil exercises ...good to know

3. If paper and pencil suits, why not use it. It's just that it doesn't necessarily suit.

4. Msz

you find children don't enjoy using paper and pencils

5. I wrote about the problems I see above as an edit. It's not primarily about enjoyment.

6. I don't recognise the 'phonics deniers' this guy rants about. He's still fighting the reading wars. Does anyone think that phonics is not a useful tool in the teaching of reading? But the SP enthusiasts have overstated the case and the debate is moving on, with some believing that some circumspection is necessary if SP is not to, in effect, score an own goal by spawning a group of children who can do phonics but can't read, and another group who are still working on phonics long after their peers can read.

Anyway, the blog hardly addresses the issues that have come up in this thread regarding teaching style and organisation.

7. Msz

8. I do a 20 minute session as soon as the children come in using flash cards then focusing on one letter we write in air on floor then try on white boards. we sort pictures then make list or draw pictures early on of things that have that initial sound. later we read or write sentences for some of the words. A mixture of this is covered over the week. after snack time we come together and quickly flash up the sounds and again after dinner so about 30 minutes in all a day. once the children show they can use pencils we begin to record some phonics. The children have one session a week where they are given a topic perhaps one being covered by the whole school where they have to write about it without asking for any help. As time goes on I expect them to be able to spell regular cvc words using their phonetic knowledge. I had 11 out of 24 children who were reading books they had to get from the year two class and most could write at least 3 sentences that they were able to read back and using some punctuation. I must point out that this cohort of parents were very supportive and heard their children read regularly at home.

9. I can't find these 'phonics denier' either. SP enthusiasts have not merely overstated the case - they have turned 'phonics' into a quasi-religion and in doing so, virtually guaranteed that another 100,000 children will continue to leave school this year and every year, unable to read and write confidently.

Reading requires mastery of phonics; good readers have mastered phonics: poor readers have not mastered phonics.

Any reasoned debate would not be about whether phonics have to be learned but HOW they can be most effectively taught. We have one of the most expensive education systems in the world and paradoxically also, we produce more illiterates than almost anyone else. Red herrings like 'phonics deniers' are favoured by two-dimensional thinkers who like to argue in ever-decreasing circles.

10. "...virtually guaranteed that another 100,000 children will continue to leave school this year and every year, unable to read and write confidently."

What absolute rubbish, eddie.