1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception timetable - phonics / literacy!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss.hendo, Aug 5, 2013.

1. And yet this doesn't explain your experiences of observing the Literacy Strategy or Letters and Sounds, as you haven't used them with your reception class.

Does this reflect your experience of teaching reception class because you had tried Letters and Sounds games with your class and found they did not work for you?:

(Incidentally I have no idea what games I mentioned. I simply said 'games' I think.)

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

it's my experience thumbie am I not allowed to express my opinion? no one is twisting the OPs arm just presenting a balanced view

yes thumbie you just said game and IMHO/E just games distract in phonics lessons and extend the length of the lesson if you are struggling to fit everything in.

3. Of course you are allowed to express your opinion, and do. All forum users can express their opinions.

Whether that gives a balanced view is open to discussion.

Clearly you have an opinion about games, I was trying to find out what it was based on as regards your experience.

Never mind.

I think being playful with young children and using their enjoyment of fun and games is invaluable in ensuring they bring their attention and concentration to bear. But I agree it can distract if the game is too elaborate (although, in fact when you play a game with sounds etc it can soon reveal children's true levels of understanding). The answer is to be reflective as a teacher and use what works for you and your class. Can you entertain the possibility that fun and games might work for some?

4. Msz

well my view is different to yours and then there are the views in between so between us we present a balanced picture to the poor OP don't you think

I think being playful with young children is important but I don't think games are the best way to teach phonics.

5. I would have thought a balanced view would be about different areas being given appropriate weights within a curriculum to develop a range of skills and knowledge in the pupils, and about different methods of instruction being balanced to offer children a range of learning experiences.

I don't feel the OP is 'poor', but lucky to have spawned such a long thread on this moribund forum. It would be even better if more joined in.

6. Msz

and you find can't give all areas equal weighting and teach phonics ? I have to say I never found it an issue when I taught reception and neither did the children. In fact some of the nursery children chose to join in phonics (because it was fun) and not a game in sight!

7. I've never had any problem teaching phonics.

The issue is about how to do it, how much time to give to it and what style/s of teaching to use. The phonics check, the government support of phonics programmes and the views expressed by Debbie on here are demanding a certain style and speed of introduction. It needs to be evaluated whether this is in the long term interests of the pupils concerned. Teachers are with their pupils every day and are well-placed to evaluate how their pupils learn. But they have little power, in this situation, to do what they find is best for their children.

Debbie writes phonics materials. Does she take a holistic view of literacy, or of the needs of 5 year olds? I'm not convinced.

8. So the fact that Debbie is an experienced former teacher and HT and was advising on phonics teaching on TES long before she wrote any phonics materials means nothing at all?

"She writes phonics materials" therefore is completely oblivious to children's needs (profit before everything else, of course) and everything she says is suspect (because 'experts' are completely untrustworthy).

You really can be quite unpleasant.

9. Unpleasant?

"She writes phonics materials" is a fact not an unpleasant statement, Maizie. The fact that Debbie writes phonics materials shows that she is committed to phonics (as you say, even before she was paid for it), and this is relevant to my question about whether her view is holistic. The big phonics push she supports is not based on a holistic view, in my opinion, but note I simply said I was not convinced. Perhaps she will convince me or perhaps others are convinced. Maybe she does have a holistic view. Maybe she doesn't care about education being holistic and thinks 'holistic' is part of a woolly liberal world view.

I suppose it would be unpleasant to say that she puts profits before anything else, without evidence, but those are your words.

I don't believe everything she says is suspect, and haven't said so (your words again). I believe anything anyone says is open to examination and questioning.

Do I have to agree with Debbie because she has been a head teacher and adviser on phonics? No.

Do I have to disagree with Debbie because she writes phonics materials? No.

I just disagree with her.

Are you saying I am unpleasant as an attempt to discredit my viewpoint? Well me being unpleasant is totally irrelevant to the validity, or otherwise, of my viewpoint so it's a bit of a pointless insult.

10. Msz

As I said if time is an issue playing games that involve half the class if you are lucky isn't the best option ...

I don't think Debbie demanded anything, any more than you or I or the OP she simply stated her opinion which doesn't match mine or yours. In her opinion to teach phonics effectively requires 40 mins per day. I believe I teach phonics effectively in a shorter time per day ...you believe something different. Debbie's motives are to ensure children learn to read and write and don't become part of the shameful statistics of children leaving school unable to do either. The fact that she produces phonics materials has no relevance to the OPs question.

11. No, but it has relevance to her answer.

12. Msz

Are you suggesting Debbie will benefit from teachers spending 40 minutes teaching phonics rather than 20 mins[​IMG]

13. I'm suggesting that Debbie's enthusiasm for phonics, and her eagerness that children should learn it first and fast, leads her to recommend 40 minutes.

14. Msz

So what has that got to do with the fact that she is the author of phonics resources?

15. Doesn't a career promoting phonics and producing materials suggest a bit of enthusiasm?

16. No. Edit: Oops forum got ahead of itself.

17. Msz

Can you only be enthusiastic if you produce materials?

18. Msz

then it's a bit of a pointless observation

19. I don't agree. I think it says a lot about Debbie's commitment to SP, and puts her views and her posts into context, particularly where forum users may not know who she is.