1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception timetable - phonics / literacy!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss.hendo, Aug 5, 2013.

• I get to know the children.
    • I know the teacher.
    • I talk to the children and the teacher.
    • I do what I am asked to do.
    • If I am asked for advice I give it if I have any to give.
    • I do not judge the teacher's 'performance'.
    • I do not think about what I would do differently.
    • I suspend my tendency to opine.(!)
    • If asked to assess a child or watch part of a lesson for any reason I do it.
    • I keep to the dress code.
    • I make the teacher a cup of coffee.
    I think that covers it all.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'd stick to paint pots and coffee making if you aren't aware

2. Do you mean "I'd stick to paint pots and coffee making if I wasn't aware" But you're not a volunteer so you don't need to worry about what you'd do.

Or do you mean "You should stick to paint pots and coffee making if you aren't aware". As I say I do what I am asked. I would stick to paint pots and coffee making if that was what was wanted, but the teacher asks me to do other stuff. Besides, I am aware. It's hard to make coffee if you're in a coma.

And what was the point that started all this? I think you've got us right off topic.

3. Msz

No thumbie I mean you

4. Just to go back:

I fail to see the relevance of either of our observations of the use of Letters and Sounds to whether or not teachers can make a valid decision about whether to use games or not in order to teach phonics. It depends on the teacher, school, class and game.

Were you trying to say that you have seen games from 'Letters and Sounds' used, and felt that they were not of benefit?

Well, so what? How does that have a bearing on well chosen games used with children who can benefit from them.

How many lesson observations of Letters and Sounds have you done, Msz. Are you an adviser? AST?

5. Msz

can I have tea I don't really like coffee and if you put a sandwich bag inside the paint pot before filling with paint it saves so much time washing them

6. Msz

ooops sorry advice from a distance ...ignore

7. We wouldn't get on.

If I was asked to put bags in the paint pots I would. Teachers don't advise their volunteers, they ask them politely to do things.

8. How many observations of Letters and Sounds lessons have you done?

9. Msz

I like people in my room to know what's happening

10. Msz

so no we wouldn't

11. Goodo. That's settled.

12. How many observations of Letters and Sounds lessons have you done, msz? Are you prepared to share?

13. Msz

I've not counted thumbshrew

14. Thumbshrew? I think I might change my user name. Love it! Sort of Shakesperian.

Can't you give an estimate? If you're not prepared that's OK you know. Just say.

10s? 100s? 1000s?

15. Msz

quite a lot over 6 years dozens-scores honestly haven't a clue

16. Maybe 6 dozen? About 4 score? Or am I wildly out? Why were you observing? By the way, just to check was it observing as in being the same room and seeing what was going on, or observing as in watching in order to evaluate and give advice?

17. Msz

It was observing for a variety of purposes including those you mention thumbie ... perhaps I should write my autobiography

18. Who is this Thumbie to whom you speak? [​IMG]

No need for an autobiography, it's just that you are drip feeding the thread with information related to your experience of what is being discussed. It invites questions. Especially of one whose main contributions tend to refer to personal experience rather than using more general and objective arguments and data.

As on the one hand you volunteer the information that you have never used the Literacy Strategy, searchlights and Letters and Sounds, and on the other pass judgement on these same initiatives it's naturally interesting to know what experiences have informed you.

So perhaps a little bit of a CV would help readers of the thread to understand where you are coming from.

19. Msz

I'm coming from the position of someone who taught reception for a very long time and sharing my experiences as the OP requested.