1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception timetable - phonics / literacy!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss.hendo, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Ok this is how I work, I'm sure not everyone will agree with me but here goes.

I teach phonics (on the carpet as an interactive session following the review, teach, practice and apply model) for about 30 mins every day this gets longer later in the year. I then support this with a mixture of blending, segmenting challenges in provision sometimes independent activities sometimes adult supported, indudvidual readers and guided reading (phonic blending skills activities to begin with) every day. I do not teach "literacy" until at least Christmas. However I do do lots of stories and rhymes and talk about them, the characters and setting ect. I also do maths in the same way every day. Other things fit in around and are practiced and supported by staff in provision. We use a varriety of strategies to support children who are not keeping up to try and keep the gaps to a minimum and use parent support when possible. I believe, and this is just my opinion so don't shoot me for it, that all children learn in different ways and not one way fits all. So I do use a mixture of phonics and whole word when needed. This has always been well received by our early year advisors and and SEN staff, and we are often praised for good practice for both GMA and SEN.

2. I'm not making assumptions about you Debbie, I'm simply reading your posts, in which you are advocating longer phonics sessions and praising teachers who teach their pupils up to the phonics check level in reception class. If this isn't giving the message that more phonics and earlier phonics is good, what is? Likewise on other threads you have said that you are in favour of reception class children sitting at desks and completing pencil and paper exercises, while dismissing more interactive game-based learning as less effective. Most people would consider that to be a more formal approach, whether in favour of it or not.

By the way, if you read my post you will notice that I don't say I know about the 'how', I say that the 'how' is important. I would have thought you would agree with me on that, but your approach seems to concentrate on the 'how' to teach the phonics content rather than how to teach literacy well and effectively to children within a balanced curriculum.

3. The last time I taught literacy in reception class it was through a daily 20 minute phonics session; providing literacy opportunities in continuous provision with a balance of focus activities from all the areas of learning including guided writing; hearing readers; story time. As the year progressed a short guided reading session was added for a group per day, while the rest of the class had big book story time. I would have liked to add in a ten minute handwriting session each day.

Controversy is good. Finding out about different points of view helps people make informed decisions.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

When I taught reception my phonics lessons took only 10 minutes in week 1 ... "This is how we write the sound /s/. Can you say /s/? Can you write it in the air with me? Start at the top, round and back the other way ... who would like to write it on the board? Does anyone have a /s/ sound in their name? etc ... then children would work with an adult at a table writing the letter using paper and pencil.

By week 2 we can start word so lesson slightly longer as we start to blend and segment. So length of lesson depends on content. Adult group activity would include writing words containing the sounds already taught as well as letter formation of the day.

In addition we would also have a Big Talk session where we wrote a class story ...adult scribe each week and 1-1 reading from week 2 for those ready.

By term 2 some children would be writing sentences/short stories independently but adult directed and term 3 all would be writing sentences as a daily adult directed task.

This was long before the introduction of the Phonics Screening Check so nothing to do with preparing for tests.

The games thumbie mentions can distract those strugglers so they learn how to play the game but not what you are teaching and take much more time (especially if you want all 30 to have 1 go) than teaching without distractions.

5. Good grief. Use your judgement. If a game simply distracts don't use it. But if it engages do. You don't need Msz to tell you from a great distance what you can see under your nose.

6. Msz

But games do engage thumbie (well if you get a turn and aren't just sat watching as it goes on and on as I've observed in some settings) ...only they may not be teaching phonics so perhaps better used when the focus is PSED ... The problem is L&S leads teachers to believe this is the best way to teach young children phonics ... so they do their very best ... it takes forever and the results are mixed ... those children who would learn regardless do so those who struggle just remember the game because that takes all their effort.

7. Not if you have judged that it engages the children with phonics Msz. That is the subject we are talking about here. Why, it's even in the thread title.

8. Msz

oh sorry thumbie I thought we were discussing my geographical location

9. Well, perhaps we were, you edited your post right away from its original form!

And your experience of teaching Letters and Sounds is...? I wouldn't ask, but you made a big point earlier about not using it.

10. Msz

No we made a decision not to after carefully reviewing the content but I'm surprised that as a volunteer you haven't observed others teaching ...

I know when I observe others it's often easier to see problems

11. My role as a volunteer isn't to observe teachers.

12. Msz

so you never ever see the teacher "teaching"? do they send you out of the room

13. Of course I see the teacher teaching, but I don't observe them.

14. Msz

Main Entry: see

Part of Speech: verb

Synonyms: appraise, ascertain, behold, catch, catch on, conceive, descry, determine, discern, discover, distinguish, envisage, envision, espy, experience, fancy, fathom, feature, feel, find out, follow, get, get the drift, get the hang of, grasp, have, hear, imagine, investigate, know, learn, make out, mark, mind, note, notice, observe, perceive, ponder, realize, recognize, remark, study, suffer, sustain, take in, think, tumble, undergo, understand, unearth, view, visualize, weigh

15. You and I and everyone reading know the difference between seeing and observing teaching.

Or, if you like, yes I see teachers teaching but I do not bring my critical faculties to bear; it's refreshing, you should try it.

16. Msz

No thumbie you and I and everyone do not know the difference between a classroom volunteer seeing and observing a lesson ... no one suggested that you sit in the corner with a clipboard but you can't tell me you are in a classroom and don't notice any off the interaction/learning/teaching. If that is what you are trying to say then you should stick to washing the paint pots

17. It's quite simple Msz. I get on with doing any jobs, including washing paint pots, which I am asked to do in the classroom. I don't watch the teacher unless I need to in order to know what to do with a group. I suspend critical judgement because my views are not needed. And I only offer advice if asked.

18. Msz

No one is suggesting you should offer advice ...even from a short distance

19. Good. It's not my role. Mind you, at least when I'm asked for advice I know the children concerned.

20. Msz

yet you don't know what's going on in the lesson