1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reception teaching interview - please help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by esuttle, Apr 8, 2012.

1. I have to prepare a 30 minute literacy activity for 15 reception children, but am struggling to find an activity that fits into the time given.
    I want to use an animated video for roughly 2 and a half minutes about a bat and a bird that share the same tree, but the bird is a noisy neighbour.
    I wanted to get children to discuss how the bat would feel before writing a simple sentence using words from the board, but I just dont think there will be ample time for this.
    So then I thought perhaps hotseating, but I dont know how I could differentiate this effectively.

Any suggestions??

2. I have to prepare a 30 minute literacy activity for 15 reception children, but am struggling to find an activity that fits into the time given.
    I want to use an animated video for roughly 2 and a half minutes about a bat and a bird that share the same tree, but the bird is a noisy neighbour.
    I wanted to get children to discuss how the bat would feel before writing a simple sentence using words from the board, but I just dont think there will be ample time for this.
    So then I thought perhaps hotseating, but I dont know how I could differentiate this effectively.

Any suggestions??

3. Hi there,

I'm going through the same predicament myself. I have an interview next Thursday and have got some good ideas, but its trying to ensure that its not too long and that the children have something to do.

In your situation I would suggest ensuring that that children can interact within the lesson and that they are not sitting for too long. Give them something to hold or do, such as picture/ word cards linked to your video. You could always expand on this and use whiteboard & pens or simple pens and paper to get the children to write a sentence. Otherwise, email the current class teacher and ask them about tricky words that they are not aware of yet. She should have a tracker of words that the children are yet to be introduced to. This will help in your sentence building.

I hope this helps you and isn't too late. Only just saw the post you have listed. Also, if you would be willing to share your lesson plan I would be very grateful. I'm always looking for ideas. s_l_murray@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you

Suzy