1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception teachers working in a Catholic school - How much RE do you teach?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caramel, Jul 17, 2011.

1. I was just wondering how much RE you teach in a catholic school. I've been told we need to do 2 hours per week which seems a lot for a reception class. How much do you do and how do you fit it in to the timetable? All ideas greatfully welcome

2. I was just wondering how much RE you teach in a catholic school. I've been told we need to do 2 hours per week which seems a lot for a reception class. How much do you do and how do you fit it in to the timetable? All ideas greatfully welcome

3. I do a "session" every day or every other day after last playtime. So in theory a 40 min slot but in practice incorporated into this is hometime routine.

4. badelf

badelf New commenter

I always try to include some enhancements in different areas linked to Re Topic - we use 'Here I Am' so for example topic invitations - place invitations in wriitng area and encourage them to make invitations for each other to play in a different area, this can be included in your time allocation as children access it throiugh continuous provision. hope this helps!

5. We use The Way, the truth and the light. It includes ideas for enhancements and small/large group work.

6. Hi,
    I was the R.E. co-ordinator in my school until January (quite glad not to be any more tho!) and you have to teach 10% of your timetable as R.E. - can't remember what that works out as, but it is about 2 hrs, maybe slightly less in Reception. Our Diocesan advisor feels very strongly that it should be taught as 2 large chunks, rather than a bit every day, so that the children get real quality teaching, but in Revception, I think it easier to give quality in small bursts than in KS1/2. When I was teaching Reception, I used to do one big lesson first thing on a Monday, (so that it was out of the way - if not, I used to find that it was the one subject that got pushed aside to make time for other things, and as the co-ordintor, I felt I should set an example!), and usually tied it into CLL. Then I would try and relate it to PSED or KUW, or even CD for the rest of the sessions. We use the Birmingham Archdiocese strategy and as teachers, we are encouraged to plan which strands when, apart from the parts from the Liturgical year which have to be at a certain time, obviously. Therefore, we could plan R.E. in to fit with other topics that we teach - i.e., people who help us. The thing that I used to find difficult was trying to work with every child each week in R.E. because you can't sit them all down at the same time and do a piece of writing like the older ones!
    What you have to remember is that in a Catholic school, the R.E. is at the heart of everything and has to be seen to come first, even if you don't agree with it. The LEA tries to say we don't need to teach R.E. as a discreet subject, but in a Catholic school, the Diocese holds more weight in that argument and it is part and parcel of Catholic teaching. Believe me, I know how hard that is - like I say, I'm glad to have given up the the co-ordinators role - so I would say the best way to go is to try to be as cross-curricular as possible, which is one of the great things about the EYFS, but when stating what areas of learning you are covering, put R.E. as your primary one.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

7. Thanks. I do try and do two longish session in the afternoon for RE. The children seems a little more mellow (tired) then and see more able to think in a different way. I will look at how I can be cross curricular and still fit in the elements of catholic teaching.