1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reception teacher interview - lesson ideas...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by natashii, May 14, 2012.

1. hi all
    I have an interview on friday for reception class teacher, there were over 50 applicants so i feel privelaged to be invited to interview :)
    I have to deliver a stand alone literacy lesson to a group of 8 reception children of varying ability- based on a book or object.
    I have chosen Handas surprise....going to read story, have real fruit ect. However the whole thing must last 15-20 mins, so after reading story im pushed for time, any ideas for an activity?? not sure how to differentiate either as only 8 children??
    initial ideas are ; each child have a baslket template have to pretend taking fruit to their friend - draw fruit in basket and record the words/initial sounds? or each child have a piece of paper and draw a part of the story then all put together to make a collabartive book? or think of describing words for the fruit and i record on board....then have fruit hidden in magic bag and chn have to describe the fruity using good adjectives for others to guess.
    Last idea much more of a speaking and listening focus, but writing would be modelled and chn could contribute their phonic knowledge? this is my favourite activity...is it ok to focus on s and l??? what do u think?
    thanks in advance xx

2. hi all
    I have an interview on friday for reception class teacher, there were over 50 applicants so i feel privelaged to be invited to interview :)
    I have to deliver a stand alone literacy lesson to a group of 8 reception children of varying ability- based on a book or object.
    I have chosen Handas surprise....going to read story, have real fruit ect. However the whole thing must last 15-20 mins, so after reading story im pushed for time, any ideas for an activity?? not sure how to differentiate either as only 8 children??
    initial ideas are ; each child have a baslket template have to pretend taking fruit to their friend - draw fruit in basket and record the words/initial sounds? or each child have a piece of paper and draw a part of the story then all put together to make a collabartive book? or think of describing words for the fruit and i record on board....then have fruit hidden in magic bag and chn have to describe the fruity using good adjectives for others to guess.
    Last idea much more of a speaking and listening focus, but writing would be modelled and chn could contribute their phonic knowledge? this is my favourite activity...is it ok to focus on s and l??? what do u think?
    thanks in advance xx

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

some children might not like to taste fruit from a bag if they are unfamiliar. You need a bin or similar for spat out fruit.
    You could talk about fruit you like. What you like best. Take turns to talk around the group. Use pictures for children who might need prompting........
    Still got time. Write a post card to tell Handa what you like best.
    Sequence the animals or pictures using a peg line and copied pictures.
    Sequence a sentence using I like etc.
    Have pictures to tell the chidlren what you are going to do /learn (differentiation)
    Get able child to act as scribe for other's favourite fruits
    20 minutes is nay so long. Don't try to deliver all this but have planning that indicates what other things could be done and developed and also independent activities and also consider building on children's prior knowledge by asking them about the story first, and invite their personal responses too if you feel able after the story. They may take you away down another route.

4. thank u :)
    do u think it is ok to have a speaking and listening focus? with elements of shared reading, modelled writing ect. Or would u get the children writing something?

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Speaking and Listening is key (thing Every CHild a Talker) and do your story and talk about fruit you like ( take a hat to wear to pass around for talking)?
    Then move onto writing it, choosing a volunteer to write. If you don't get that far make sure it is in your planning. Also have some laminated words I /like/ bananas, apples, etc. Just to let them know you can sort of thing.
    And have these evident if you do not use them. Blue tack them up or lay them on the floor near you. That covers reading and writing. Or you could pull them out of a bag and see if thekids can read them (assessment) then make a sentence in the centre of your circle. They have given you 8 kids - that tells me a lot about what kind of interaction and teaching they expect.
    It is your engagement and interactions that will cinch the deal. Try not to be too nervous and don't be at all crotchety.
    If you read Handa you have to talk about it - the whole point is what is going on that is not in the text!
    20 minutes is really not very long and if you are good at engaging the children time will fly by. Be very energetic and full of life, lots of smiles and the best of luck to you.