1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception subtraction challenge

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Crownie13, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am a student teacher and am planning for the maths challenge (child initiated) activity to be set up. It has to be linked to subtraction and quite simple as it will be indepedent. I was wonderinf if anyone had any ideas as that would be great.

Thankyou!

2. Hi,

I am a student teacher and am planning for the maths challenge (child initiated) activity to be set up. It has to be linked to subtraction and quite simple as it will be indepedent. I was wonderinf if anyone had any ideas as that would be great.

Thankyou!

3. Mmm ... How can you plan a challenge to be child-initiated? Do you need to define your terms more clearly?
    If you just mean independent, perhaps you could give the children a set of various boxes with counters, or something similar inside, lids of boxes stuck firmly down. Say you tried to put 10 counters in the boxes but you had some left over for each box. Show or say how many were left over for each box. How many counters does each box hold? Which is the winning box holding the most counters? depending on abilities of children they could record this through their own methods with pencil and paper. You would have to build it up by hamming it up a bit as a challenge and building some sort of story or scenario about it (pirate treasure etc - which box will the pirates take? Can pirate Pete solve the dilemma) At the end you can open boxes with a flourish to find out the answers.