1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception spelling tests

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 2logd, Jun 11, 2007.

1. I think teachers are the worst critics of other teachers! No disrespect! But let your child develop without interference. Children have an aptitude to progress in spite of any influence teachers may have. Spelling tests and adverse comments can be ignored with your support. Unfortunately that's life, and its a BIG lesson we all have to learn.

2. thats okay - except when you already have a 5 year old crying her eyes out on a Friday mornig because it is Spelling Day and she doesn't want to get any wrong!

3. Yes we all need to learn to spell and we all need to learn that life is hard but not at 60+ months old!!!

Look here

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/4/tables/1_2_6...

The Early Years Foundation Stage talks about enabling children not disabling children. A child with good self esteem will learn and eventually also spell!! Stop this awful practice in YR it is not appropriate!

4. I was TA in a school where one Y1 boy got 0/10 every week for a year, poor soul. I'm in a different school now and there are three Y2 children who just don't get set spellings because the teacher feels it inappropriate for their level of working. I think this is a much better way of working.

5. my Reception children do have a spelling test each week, but they are not words that they take home and practise, i do it as a from of dictation from jolly phonics either CVC or CVCC for my HA children i am giving HFW. the children do love doing this and i think it is good and appropriate for reception, it is a way that i can see how well the children are using their phonics, it takes place in small ability groups so i can go at different speeds )ie how quickly i say the words - stretch the word) and how many they need to spell. i mark the spelling with the individual child so if a sound has been missed out they can see and hear it with my support.
    this way seems to work for me and they children really get something out of it and are really keen to have a go and there confidence at spelling words / and their writing has really improved

6. "The high frequency words listed in the back of the Framework are not intended to be taught by rote. They are included because they represent a high proportion of the words children are likely to meet in the early stages of reading. Many of these words are phonically regular and thus perfectly decodable. A proportion are irregular and will need to be taught as 'tricky words'. You should use this list as a checklist to ensure that all the regular words can be decoded, as the children learn the relevant phonics skills. You should teach children to recognise the other words as they encounter them in Shared and Guided Reading."

Progression in Phonics 1999

Why are teachers so hung up on the NLS Framework lists of high frequency words? I have lost count of the number of children in Y1 and even in Y2 who can read all 45 reception words (and often most of the Y1/2 list) but who cannot read CVC words they have not learnt by rote.

7. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

Wow - this has opened a can of words. I don't and never would give a spelling test to a reception class. Like an earlier poster said we push children too hard too soon in this country and the ramifications are huge. We use a synthetic phonics scheme at our school and teach phonics to differentiated groups. Most of my class can spell CVC words but and most can use their phonics to make plausible attempts at longer words (sorry I sound like the CGFS but as it's been reports and profiles for the last month my head is full of it!) I think that all spelling tests do is force children to commit words to their short term memory. When we do 'spellings' it's when we're looking at something, let's say a story, and we talk about the words and sounds within them and always with a full context. Decontextualizing words and flashing them over and over again in childrens' faces is an awful idea. I particularly like Msz's idea of dictating words that the children have to put into sentences working with a partner. My kids love activities like these as not only do they have peer support me and my TA are there to guide everyone. Much more beneficial than sending home lists of words!