1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception - Read Write Inc

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by clawdeer, Jun 25, 2011.

1. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

I am being trained in Read Write Inc at the end of July and from September we will be using it in Reception and I believe instead of Letters and Sounds - any thoughts and advice welcomed [​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not a fan of RWI as a programme but it has some great resources and can be highly successful. Letters & Sounds is one of the better government publications but teachers get too hung up on the phases so progress is slow and of course there are no resources.

3. I've been using it in reception this year as a kind of guide to practice...i.e the tlk to your partner, no hnads up kind of thing. We have alo used to images to suuport the intoiduction of letters and we hve used the sheets from the photocopiable book for some children who struggled with the written sound. We haven't been using it as a scheme, we have a couple of sets of the reading books and thats it. I've found ita great help especially for childrne who need something to hang their learning onto.

4. I didn't read that back and it is full of errors....apologies and hope it makes sense!

5. my school has bought the whole package and swapped over in march this year. At this stage our Reception children have made much better links with writing words down and their knowledge of phonics which is a weakness in jolly phonics (used with letters and sounds previously). But despite keeping sessions "pacey" the children are bored and don't look forward to the sessions. My school has several RWInc areas set up as we don't have many tables in reception and couldn't have all the children sitting down to write so each group goes off to an area with whoever is teaching that group. I am concerned about sept's intake as in the past we started phase 2 letters and sounds and quickly gave them phonics based reading books to take home. I can't envisage the children being ready for the RWInc sessions before Oct half term, if then and the trainer doesn't seem to have any idea about early years and no advice to offer.
    The model school the HT went to see doesn't start RWInc until January so what do they do about reading books? Our parents will be expecting the kids to bring home a reading book and there will be children either already reading or ready to in Sept.
    Despite Reception concerns it seems to be working in KS1 as children making rapid progress in phonics. Not sure about boredom levels though.
    Dreading next training day- 1st was so boring despite energetic trainer. Too much packed into the day and too long sitting listening despite lots of turn to your partner etc.

6. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

Thanks for replies...i have read about some of those issues...especially boredom keeps coming up. I also wondered about how well it will work for reception, it says on their webpage that they train teachers from foundation stage upwards, but the kids on the video look a lot older than reception, at first glance it seems a little year 1 - we shall see... thanks again [​IMG]

7. We have been using readwrite inc in reception for 2 years now. The children start by learning 1 sound a day from their first full time week. These sessions are whole class and last about 10 minutes. The children love this and all come running in every morning desperate to see what the new sound will be.They practise writing each sound on whiteboards, and have handwriting practise in their workbooks, one group each morning as they first come in. By October half term, you will already be able to identify children who need extra support support and then you begin 10 minute tutoring with them.
    As soon as you have learnt the first 5 sounds - m,a,s,d,t you start oral blending, again as a whole class. Again writing words on whiteboards etc. These green words are all phoincally regular, and are displayed on your word wall - the children love playing with them and you may have to photocopy a set for the children or they all get bent.
    Before Xmas the chidlren are assessed using the assments in the books and then ability grouped. Then in the New year the children start going to different teachers in their ability groups - we have 3 classes in reception and lots of TAs so we usually have approx 8 groups to choose from.
    The only thing I've found the children don't like is going to to other teachers they don't know but soon get used to it. By this time of year, we have a pink group, and orange group, a purple group, a green group and a couple of ditty groups. Parents are very pleased with their progress, as am I of course, and all of them are very confident writers. I think readwrite is great, and the children are so proud of themselves!

8. We've done RWI for a few years now, and love the scheme, but it doesn't work for everyone. We have used it in a way to suit our school, don't send the children off into groups in reception, but use TAs to reinforce skills and sometimes take groups.
    With regards to it being boring, it can be a little monotonous, but in my opinion, it's down to the teacher to make it interesting for the children in their group....you know them better than anyone else!
    Good luck!

9. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We start it in week 2 of Reception. I haven't found the children get bored with it. It's about your enthusiasm when teaching it. We structure it so that two groups run in the class at the same time. In the afternoon we use our other phonics resources to re-enforce the learning. We use whiteboards, magnet boards, sometimes we draw a letter on each other's back, use different coloured feathers. We also use coloured lolly sticks to track in the books.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I use some of the materials at home. I can't understand why it wouldn't be fun with reception children, or why a trainer from RWI would have no idea about using it in reception. The handbook makes it crystal clear it is for reception upwards and so much of the stuff would have appeal to reception children but would pall a bit by year 2/3 if you left it all a bit late.
    I'm sure some of the model schools must be better at it than others, and there must be several who have used it successfully in reception onwards. Maybe OUP could point you in the right direction to a school who is using it more enthusiastically and younger.

11. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

When I did the training they did stuff like giving each other whooshes and fireworks. The kids love stuff like that. We have made up some of our own ones. And when we do the hold a sentence we do funny voices. Say it like a witch, whisper it etc.

12. We love Read Write Inc. Our children have made fantastic progress in their reading, their levels have jumped so high! I`d recommend doing the comprehension read write inc too, we do it with those who finish read write until summer term in year two. There are sometimes a few children still one read write but we mix groups up so a group could have r,y1,y2 and even y3 chn in - it suits their ability. We highly recommend it. Gosh I sound like a promoter, but I just think it is ace.

13. didn`t read that back - should say 'still on read write!' We have a few reception children on Blue already - they love it!

14. Hi there,
    I just found your post and wondered whether I could ask your advice. I started RWI with my reception class yesterday. I did the photocopiable worksheets which go with each sound with all the class after the session but it took all morning (and that was with my TA) so it didn't feel right. I know it says to send them home but I don't feel this is appropriate for reception aged children either. The writing section of the lesson is done of whiteboards (although it says paper?) do you think this is ok?
    Any advice will be much appreciated!

15. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Why don't you send them home rather than spending ages in class? And show parents how to help their child with correct pencil hold (e.g. by buying suitable large triangular pencils) etc?
    As a parent I would much rather my child did a quick sheet like that at home than a lot of teaching time be taken up by it. You'll soon get to see which parents don't or can't help and then you can concentrate the TA help on those children?
    Learning to read and write is fun, children are enthusiastic about it if it's done the right way, so are most parents, what's the big deal?
    I personally think paper and pencils are better than whiteboards (but I'm just an old fashioned mother).

16. I use the photocopiable sheets in the RWI session for the writing element - we do the 1, 2, 3 signal to the tables (initially one table at a time but now all children know which table to go to and we can do it silently, with them looking at my fingers showing 1, 2 or 3), they write the sounds which takes a couple of minutes then turn over the page and we practise two or three other sounds on the other side. I've seen a big improvement in pencil control skills in just two weeks. I think it is very important to keep the sessions very positive and pacy. Nothing goes home at this point, they are too tired.

Laura46vr likes this.
  17. clawdeer

clawdeer New commenter

hi, we are in our second week now...we sent the worksheets home at the end of the week, which parents liked as they know what we've done so far. i have given my class phonics books to write in, which has been easier for me to set out, and look at afterwards. i am really concious of trying to keep it all pacey, so try really hard to be done in 15 minutes. the magnet board bit and magnetic letters went on a bit, but mainly because they were so excited by them! it is going okay, but as i didnt end up doing the training yet, i am kind of adlibbing a lot, taking a bit longer than maybe i should be with my consolidation,and using a lot of my old phonics techniques too.but its all what i think is best for my class. hope yours goes well [​IMG]

18. slossy

slossy New commenter

Do you know why on the Complex Speed Sounds chart 'ear' isn't included in the 'ir' box, and e-e isn't included in the 'ee' box?