1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception playtime?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Pumpkin1988, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Pumpkin1988

Pumpkin1988 New commenter

Hi everyone

We are currently reviewing our reception timetable and I was curious to know if your reception have a playtime in the morning and/or afternoon or do you have continuous outdoor provision?

If you do have continuous outdoor provision do all children go outside at some point during the day (excluding lunchtime) or is it purely down to if they choose to or not?

Many thanks for any information :)

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

When I worked in England, we had continuous provision indoor and outdoor all morning. Then they had a seperate playtime before coming in for phonics (and then on to dinner).
    No afternoon playtime.

Pumpkin1988 likes this.
  3. neverstopdreaming

neverstopdreaming New commenter

I’ve worked in three different schools and none of them have had a separate playtime for Reception. In all the schools we’ve had free flow inside and outside all morning and afternoon so I’ve never really seen the point of having a separate playtime. It’s their choice if they go out or stay indoors but I’ve never had a child who never went outside at all during free flow. Personally I think it interrupts their play for no good reason but that’s purely my opinion. Some people like the children to have a playtime. At all the schools the children all played outside at lunchtime - sometimes in their outdoor area, sometimes in the playground.

4. Pumpkin1988

Pumpkin1988 New commenter

Thank you neverstopdreaming and TeacherMan19, it's helpful to hear what others are doing :)