1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception planning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pink007, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I was new to reception this year and am loving it, but am still not sure about what it means to plan well in the early years. I would love to hear how people do it and those who have had their planning really well received by early years advisors and/or ofsted and what it was that made it stand out.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi,
    I was new to reception this year and am loving it, but am still not sure about what it means to plan well in the early years. I would love to hear how people do it and those who have had their planning really well received by early years advisors and/or ofsted and what it was that made it stand out.
    Thanks in advance!

3. I have used the proformas on the Durham LEA website:
    http://eyfs.durhamlea.org.uk/observationplanningassessmnet/
    My planning has been well received by my Early Years Advisor, she thought it was brilliant and fine that we have 'borrowed' it from somewhere else.
    It's alot though, I have full long term plans for all six areas, both indoor and outdoor. Then I have mid term planning for each half term (a page for each of six areas). I also make a weekly plan for my own use and daily plans to go with it which are in more detail. On top of that I have a continuous provision sheet for each week.
    I was new to Reception this year too and have really found this way useful but it is time-consuming!
    Hope that helps.

4. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I used to do loads of planning - long term, medium term, short term, daily, indoors, outdoors, continuous provision - it was never ending!
    Then, I decided that, since my planning was actually for me and the TA, it didn't need to be so laborious and I simplified it. We are a SIP school and have had so many people in to observe and check progress. Everyone loves the planning and thinks it's ideal for the purpose.
    I now only highlight the Dev Mat statements I intend to cover during the half term. From that I create a topic web showing suggested activities within the 6 strands. Then I use that to identify which areas of the class our staff will be based (in/outdoors, creative, carpet, etc) and use this to plan for myself and the TA, which we have on clipboards and annotate daily.
    It works really well for us and seems to go down well with anyone who comes in unexpectedly to cover for either myself or the TA.

5. Hi honey loop

Your plans sound great. Would you be able to put them on the site or sen me a copy if possible kaz_allan@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

6. Hi Honey Loop
    Is there any chance I could have a look at your plans too please? They sound really great and user friendly. My email is jaqmar@flinder.fsnet.co.uk
    Thanks very much in advance.

7. Hi Honey Loop,
    any chance I could have a little look at your plans too?
    sdolphinz@hotmail.com

thanks
    x

8. Hey Honeyloop that sound great! Please could you send a copy to me at becki244@hotmail.co.uk Could be really useful!
    Thanks

9. I would also be really grateful for a copy too!
    Many thanks
    coops1279@hotmail.com

10. I am moving from year 4 to reception i also would be very grateful to see what an experienced teacher's plans look like
    Thanks
    jencipko@hotmail.com

11. Hi honeyloop. I am always looking for new refreshing ideas especially when it comes to making planning easier. Could you possibly send me your planning? I too am new to teaching reception like many others on this thread.
    My email is ericalyoung@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks.

12. Hi, I too am moving to reception after an extended maternity break and more experience in ks2 - very excited about it but anxious about the plans - and would also appreciate seeing some from experienced teachers if you don't mind,
    email is nadinenctnd@hotmail.com

many thanks

13. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi Honey Loop
    My plans are quite complex and I am wanting to tone them down somewhat perhaps you wouldn't mind sending me a copy of your planning too. Much appreciated suzi@5223.co.uk
    Thank you.

14. please could i also have a copy of your planning because surprise surprise i am looki ng to reduce mine and find a much clearer/simpler way of prseenting mine my email is
    sulzer14@fsmail.net

15. may i jump on the bandwagon and ask you to mail me a copy also.Thanks.My addy is nutjan@hotmail.co.uk

17. Hi Honey Loop, I'm new to reception and would love to see your planning as an example. Can you send me a copy please? :)
    Chloe_1000@hotmail.co.uk Thank you! x

18. Hi Honey Loop. Any chance you can put a copy of your plans up in resources. Many thanks in advance.