1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reception observation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by naad, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Hi,

I have a lesson observation on monday and would really appreciate some ideas. I have a one hour lesson observation in FS 2 (reception) on subtraction.

My question is : how do you plan out the 1 hour?

The school i am in at the moment works very differently. Class is divided into 2 ability groups. Teacher teach 1 ability group and TA teaches the other. only 20 mins on the carpet , then children go and choose an independent activity. I call a small group of children then work on the focussed activity, then they go on independent activities and i chose another group, till all children have done some written work.

please tell me how your reception class work please.

thanks

2. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I would plan a short introduction on carpet, whole class introducing subtraction - perhaps an interactive game, something everyone can engage with - then set yourself up on a table to work with interested children on another game focusing on working on this skill- perhaps have some other things out for continuous provision for others to access independently in the classroom.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

For an interview, I would set up several activities that link to subtraction (one adult led, others independent) and ask the children to choose which they would like to have a go at. Assuming I had TA support I would ask the TA to lead the adult led activity, and then move around the others myself, supporting and scaffolding learning. Come back together at the end of the session for a plenary.