1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception observation help need please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bajan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Hello all,
    feeling a bit silly for posting this but here goes. I have an observation later this week for a job in reception and just can't get my mind in gear. To make matters worse I have to go to another school to teach the lesson. Normally this wouldn't faze me but we are just so overworked in my school at the moment (following OFSTED) that my brain is all mush (I also have 2 observations at my own school) . Deep down I know what I need to do but I just can't think straight.

I have to teach a 1 hour lesson for 30 children and the title is 'Using literacy as a simulus for PSRN' I will probably have a story followed by carousel activities and opportunities by CI learning. I also have to take my onw resources. I don't expect anyone to TELL me what to do but would be really grateful for some ideas that I can run with.

Thank you

2. Hi,
    Bless you, sounds like you have a lot on at the momment. From the title I would take it that they want you to pick a book with a maths theme ie the bad tempered ladybird or six dinner sid etc
    I would have a look at a book you really like and is not that common and pick out maths activties from it.
    Here are some themes
    The very hungry caterpillar- counting days ordering.
    Mr Magnolia -pairs odd even
    kippers toy box- counting within 15
    The tiger who came to tea- begin to understand and use ordinal numbers
    Jack and the beanstalk- size need to measure
    All the best, any other questions ask away. or email me and I will do my best to help
    I

3. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Hello, yes bless, you do sound like you have a lot on your plate.

Two books which came to mind as a stimulus for PRSN are 'Mouse Count' and 'One is a snail, ten is a crab'. Both fab books which would be great for this. Mouse count is a really really fun book which my kids loved, obviously since they love snakes lol! You could do an interactive activty where as you re-read the book, they have 10 objects and take one the number of mice each time, counting how many are left as they do so ...With One is a snail, 10 is a crab, you could link this to themselves, how many feet do they have, how many eyes etc, in the carousel you coould have a choice of two of the animals to make at one station ?? Sorry if that's not much help, but its almost midnight here and I have school in the morning, bedtime!!Be confident, yousay you know what you need to do, so relax, take a deep breath, commit yourself to a book and blow them away at the observation :D Let us know how it goes :D

4. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Thank you for all your suggestions. I felt the lesson observation went ok, I won't know until next week. I read My cat likes to hide in boxes which the children really enjoyed. We had lots of different size boxes and the children had to say how many toys they thought would fit into a box and then put them in and count them. All the children were engaged and could tell the observers what they were doing. Lots of language going on.

Thanks again.