1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception Lesson Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ava_milo, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Hi I currently teach in KS1 but have applied for a job in reception…I have a maths lesson observation but I don't even know where to begin! I have never taught in EYFS! I don't want peoples ideas but just suggestions for a starting point, are there any good websites/resources to look at? I'm a bit worried that I'm applying for a job when I don't even know where to begin with planning a lesson! :-/

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Interview lessons for EYFS are different to actually teaching there. When you're actually there you look at the children's interests and levels and work from that. Obviously you can't take that approach at interview with a group of children you've never met! How long is the lesson supposed to be?

"Development Matters" is the EYFS curriculum; take a look in the Mathematics section for some of the things Reception children should be working towards (40-60+ months or the Early Learning Goals). There are also some ideas for how practitioners can support children to achieve/learn these things.

3. Thank you, that makes sense and I will use that as a starting point! 30 minutes? would you advise sticking to the starter (10 mins) main (15 mins) and plenary (5 mins) or mini plenaries? Thanks in advance!