1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception Lesson Obs - Summer born

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by SJK1985, Mar 11, 2012.

1. HI everyone,
    My head is observing me for performance management - focusing on how i am catering for summer born children in my class in writing.
    I have some ideas but am not too sure of the types of things she may be looking for. Has nayone got any fab ideas of what i could do? These children cnnont write their names and are currently just mark making.
    Any suggestions will be fab!
    Thanks

2. HI everyone,
    My head is observing me for performance management - focusing on how i am catering for summer born children in my class in writing.
    I have some ideas but am not too sure of the types of things she may be looking for. Has nayone got any fab ideas of what i could do? These children cnnont write their names and are currently just mark making.
    Any suggestions will be fab!
    Thanks

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

I would ensure there are a variety of fine motor activities within the continuous provision, to show you are building up their hand strength (malleables, threading, tweezers/chopsticks etc)
    I have always used the jumbo pencils or pencils with triangular/comfy grips for those that are not ready for more formal types of writing. They need to get pencil control first, including a good grip.
    I have always made name cards for the children to help them trace their names initially (first name, then first and family names). I also write in yellow for the children to over-write.
    I would also ask your FS Leader for some support - have you spoken to them about the stage of development your summer borns are at? If assume you're talking F2 Reception? If not, I wouldn't worry so much.

4. Thanks thats great! I do most of those things now, was just trying to think of a really good focused activity could do for my lesson (I was going to have things like wet sand with sticks, shaving foam and gloop for mark making in CP aswell as tweezers.
    x

5. Make sure you have plenty of writing opportunities in your continuous provision such as:
    • 'my model design' templates on clipboards in your construction area
    • phone message book and phone in writing or role play area
    • themed paper on writing table along with topic words
    • as above in role play area
    Sorry if these seem obvious to you, just wanted to help.
    ps could you have the children writing their names as a form of self-registration?

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Even if some of the children cannot physically write, you can access the "imagination" part of writing by getting them to share their ideas. I'd also sit with them and support writing - help them form a sentence and then scribe part of it for them. Get them to use their phonic knowledge to write words - use magnetic or sticky letters to speed things up. Also, model writing and get them to form their own letters. It may just be me, but I think over-writing sends the message that "someone else will do it for me".

7. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Just a nice activity my kids love .... I have sets of chopsticks (and the kiddie ones which join at the top) ... then a tray full of coloured sparkly pom poms in different sizes ... In the middle of the table are coloured paper bags to match the colours of the pom poms ... The kids love trying to pick them up and put them in the right colour ... another nice idea for motor skills is having a tray with one or two padlocks and a selection of keys ... my kids loved trying to find the key which would open up the padlock.
    You might want to do something tactile like letter sounds and tracing on their back, then highers could write words, you could work in small group with the summer born (and any other later developers) and help them hear the sounds in a word, then model the writing for them which they can then write them on their partner's back and copy from the board. I find my lowers who do not yet have great motor skills or letter sound understanding are desperate to have a go and it doesn't matter to me how they do as long as their enthusiasm to try is there.

8. Thanks, those ideas are fab! My topic is volcanoes so I was thinking of doing a short input showing the children a clip of a volcano erupting and asking the to talk about what they see (talk for wriitng) with me then modeliing sentence writing.
    My HA were going to work with TA with model papier mache volcano - the idea being that they dress up as scientists and watch the volcano erupt and then Write senteces to report what happened which they will then report in role play area (which is currently a news desk).
    MY LAummer born I was going to do Squiggle While You wiggle to practise letter shapes followed by mark making in differnet media - shaving foam, gloop, play dough, wet sand with activities like tweezers and small objects in my continuous provision?
    How does that sound? Feel like I just eed reassurance ha!
    Thanks

9. Write dance is amazing. A boy in my class who'd never drawn a thing was incredibly proud of his volcano and it inspired a love of drawing.

Heres the volcano info but you'd need the music.

https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6034268