1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception interview!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ahamelsmith, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ahamelsmith

ahamelsmith New commenter

Hello!

I have a 30 minute interview for reception or nursery (will be told on the day) for 15 children.

Here is what I have thought of so far

A story bag with props in, children pull the items out and discuss what they are, what story they could be for (we're going on a bear hunt)
    Read we're going on a bear hunt using pie corbetts t4w story map idea and using actions

A sequencing activity - so have the cards on different coloured paper, children have to first find the same colour and make a group and then have to put themselves into the correct order and re tell their part of the story.

Then children individually have to order the story and glue it onto paper and then write either a word for lower abilities or more for highers describing each picture.

At the end bring the children back together and look at some of their story maps and have the children re tell the story using their own story map.

Suggestions/advice? Thank you!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sounds great for Reception, but a bit hard for nursery.

3. ahamelsmith

even thought I literally just wrote it I still completely forgot about the chance it could be nursery. I think because it is a reception position that's why! thank you! Should I plan two seperate lessons? Or call the school and ask if they know which class I will be teaching?

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

If you end up with Nursery maybe you could do the bear hunt story with sound effects too and incorporate a Drama/Music element. Maybe it rains on the bear hunt and you can sing ‘Rain, rain, go away/Come again another day’ or you meet some other creatures (Incey wincey spider?) Maybe you will need to do the sequencing activity altogether and have some big pictures of the places you went/creatures you met and talk about what came first.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

I wouldn't keep 15 nursery children doing an adult led activity for 30 mins, however music/drama based.

Have they said it has to be writing?
    Something like this would be more exciting and sensory...allowing children to describe the texture.
    [​IMG]

Or, if getting that messy with bare feet is too scary for an interview, use hands to explore or make something like these and listen for bottles that sound the same...look the same....etc
    [​IMG]

Maybe have a group playing in one of these, with a TA retelling the story with them if you have one, if not they can have lolly stick puppets and make of it what they will.
    [​IMG]

15 is a lot to have in an adult led group for more than quickly telling the story, whichever year group. Children will almost certainly know the story already, so you can walk around the room/outdoor area as you tell/act the story and then move quickly to independent activities.

6. ahamelsmith

I heard back and I do have reception class so thats a relief I can just focus on that!

I was actually thinking if I had nursery to do different activities like painting etc. would you recommend doing those above instead of the writing activity?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

Personally, yes.
    But most importantly look at what is 'exceeding' in terms of ELGs and teach something from there.
    What do you want them to 'learn' and how best can you enable that to happen?

8. ahamelsmith

well now that its changed I'm thinking either speaking or imaginative ELG.
    I've still got the story bag at the start and then doing the story with actions etc.
    then into groups and have 3 activities set up where each group can spend 5minutes. one group is the sensory tray talking about what they feel/see etc, second is the tuff tray where they can role play with characters on lollipop sticks and the third is the sequencing cards of the story where they can orally re tell the story with what is happening in their picture. How does that sound?

Thank you so much for your advice! I've been out of England for a while so just getting back into it all

9. ahamelsmith

oh and at the end I was going to get them to start thinking about how we could change the story. we're going on a ? hunt etc

10. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Good luck with your interview. Just wanted to add that it's a refreshing change for someone to ask for help with lots of ideas to start with, and it has enabled others to help you.
    Let us know how it goes.

I like innovating on the story, just not sure you will have time.
    There are different versions out there already.

11. ahamelsmith

thank you!
    is the LO: to be able to re tell the story. to be able to use descriptive words okay?

12. caterpillartobutterfly

I think I'd let them have 15 mins on one activity and that's it. Doesn't matter that they don't all do all of them. You can talk about rotating over the morning or week.

Relevant exceeding statements are...
    Understanding: After listening to stories children can express views about events or characters in the story and answer questions about why things happened.
    Reading: They can describe the main events in the simple stories they have read.

So I'm not sure your LO is quite what you want just yet.