1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception interview with 30 children

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JR0125, May 1, 2016.

1. JR0125

JR0125 New commenter

Hello, I have been invited to an interview this week with the focus of literacy - developing high quality writing to 30 children with a LSA.
    I have a lesson in mind, but was wondering if it is ok to have the LSA work with a focused group of mixed ability to write a letter (to Woody from toy story), I will also have a focused group of mixed ability, and the rest of the children will use the continuous provision - but provide resources that encourage letter writing? E.g. word mats, templates etc.
    The email said 'we would like to observe you teach a 30 minute literacy lesson with the focus of developing high quality writing'
    My lesson (I got this from another user and thought it was a brilliant idea!)
    Introduction: show a new toy and letter from Woody asking the children to look after the toy and to write a letter back telling him all the fun things they will do with him.

Main: focused groups and continuous provision

Plenary: invite all children to the carpet to share what we have been writing.

Does this sound like what they are asking for? Or is it a direct lesson on developing writing e.g. finger spaces? Should some children be sent off to chose their learning, as keeping 30 children on the carpet for 30 minutes seems like a long time.
    Any help would be amazing.

2. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

You've got some great ideas here - a new toy will engage and (presumably) they all know Toy Story. You might like to spend 5 minutes really talking about all the "fun things" the children will do with the toy so that when you take your group to write they can get on with the writing - this could be the children's opportunity to tell you about their lovely classroom. Most of my Reception children can EITHER come up with good ideas OR write about them, but have great difficulty doing both at the same time, so share sentences first (you could even model one or two to remind them about phonics, orientation, neatness etc.) Writing with a new class is a tricky business though unless you get inside knowledge of where they are in their phonics.
    I think you are right in considering the majority will go off to their own work whilst you deal with a writing focus group, and really nice if you have the time to come up with some extra literacy-based resources for other areas in the classroom. I tend to do guided writing with a max of 4 children at a time. Your plenary might not need to involve getting everyone back to the carpet but just a round up of learning with those who have been writing.
    If you have having children doing their own thing off the carpet whilst you do a teacher focus, you probably won't be able to get your LSA to do another group - the LSA would normally interact whilst you focused.

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

I think this was my interview lesson which I posted on here a while ago! When I went for my interview I knew that I would be required to work with a small group of children after the whole class session so it was a bit easier to plan for. I still have the lesson plan. If you would like a copy PM me with your email address.

4. torieball

torieball New commenter