1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception interview- any feedback on reception writing would be much appreciated

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by flubberyzing, Jun 5, 2011.

1. The format of your lesson seems fine, but personally I wouldn't choose a traditional tale at this stage in the year. 'Traditional Tales' is a topic that basically all FS children cover earlier in the year, and I think you might find that they might be a bit "meh" about an overly-familiar topic. Personally I'd choose something different. Perhaps a Julia Donaldson book? She writes lovely simple stories that children engage well with.
    As for the writing, yes, certainly by this point in the year I'd be expecting all FS children to be having a good go at writing. Personally I'd model it with them first and then get them to have a go at writing "what happens next". Or perhaps get really creative and get them thinking about what happens to the character after the story ends, or a different ending completely! Doing that is a great generator of language and the children love coming up with some crazy ideas and might then be keener to have a go at the writing. Some should certainly be writing sentences, some only single words, but all should be able to have a go.

2. Thanks for the feedback - really appreciated.[​IMG]
    Yes, I thought that too about doing traditional tales (about being over familiar), it's just because it is a one off lesson that I don't want to do anything that might end up going wrong, or just be hard to sequence. Traditional tales lend themselves more to sequencing ie. big, medium, small.
    I personally love Julia Donaldson and would love to do the Smartest Giant in Town, but sticking with sequencing it is harder (if they aren't familiar with the story)
    The writing what happens next is a fantastic idea, rather than just getting the children to rewrite the story, definitely know that children can use that to come up with fantastic ideas. Thankyou for that, I really do appreciate any input (I think I really wasn't built for interviews)
    Quick question, - if I chose for example to do Billy Goats Gruff, how many pictures would you use to sequence? As I have been looking at lots of resources, ranging from 4 simple pictures to sequence to 11 pictures to sequence. (11 is definitely alot, but is 4 too little for Reception at this time of the year)
    Thankyou again

3. Thinking about Julia Donaldson, I think that maybe Room on a Broom could be a good one to sequence. (This is all dependent on what waterstones has to offer as my library is shut tomorrow)
    But I would love to do a Julia Donaldson book. Do you think that one of them stands out as lending itself best to sequencing?
    Again, thankyou for any input