1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception interview- advice please?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by flibbertigibit, Jan 12, 2019.

1. flibbertigibit

flibbertigibit New commenter

Hello all,
    I currently teach in KS1, which is where most of my experience has been, but I’m leaving my current post at the end of this term and have an interview for a job teaching Reception. For the interview I have 25 minutes to do whole-class teaching followed by a focus group task. What I wanted to check is whether it’s likely that I’m expected to keep the focus task very short so I can get through every group or if I should spend the whole time just with one group?
    Also, I was thinking of bringing some resources for their continuous provision that relate to the whole-class teaching, does that seem like the right idea? I’d be really grateful for any advice!

2. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

I would advise you to have no more than 15 minutes whole class then a focus group. You are unlikely to get through more than one focus group in the time. Good luck!

flibbertigibit likes this.
  3. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Oh and absolutely bring some child led provision with you.

4. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

I would keep it to one group and bring continuous provision based on your teaching with you. When/if the children choose to play and learn independently with the provision whilst you are with a group it will show that they were engaged with what you taught them. When I had an interview with reception, I asked the children who would like to work with me in a group when I had finished teaching and then chose a small group. I then differentiated on the spot (and in the planning) during the activity.
    Hope this helps!

5. flibbertigibit

flibbertigibit New commenter

Thank you both so much, that's really helpful advice.