1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception Interview- 30 meetings too long on carpet?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BB2009, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I was recently offered an interview for a Reception post. I have previously taught Nursery and KS1, so Reception is something new for me. I have to teach a 30 minute lesson to the class. With my Nursery lot and even with my year 2 lot, I wouldn't keep them sitting on the carpet for 30 minutes. But it seems like I won't be able to set up other areas before the interview and it's too short to send them all off then bring them back for a plenary. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to work this out? I could just do something very active for 30 minutes all together? I'm a bit nervous about teaching 30 unknown children!
    Thanks for you help!

2. Oh and I will be doing a literacy lesson! I have some ideas based around a book but still, 30 minutes seems long!

3. Does 30minutes on the mat actually mean 30 mins sitting? How about 20 sitting, max, and 10 mins doing some movement activity related to the literacy component. Alternatively, 10 mins intro, 10 mins (connected) movement, 10 mins literacy eg story/rhymes, etc.

4. Thanks for your reply. And sorry- I meant 30 minutes in the title of this thread of course, not 30 meetings! Thanks for your ideas.

5. I recently had an interview delivering a 30 minute poetry session to mixed R/1 class. If you PM me your e-mail address tonight I can send you my lesson plan. I didn't keep them on the carpet but my plan will show you how I structured the time. I got the job yey! Good luck with yours!!!
    Steevie

6. Thank you so much. I have sent you a PM

7. You have mail!

8. MissSnack

MissSnack New commenter

Hi Steevie,
    Would you be so kind sending me your lesson plan,please? I've an interview on Thursday, trying to plan something good.
    Thank you!!

MissSnack

9. Could I also ask if I could see your plan? As I also have a 30minute literacy activity for reception to teach! x

10. BB2009 and steevie - how do you do PMs? I would like to get in touch with anyone from EYs for ideas on curriculum and more. Thank you.