1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception Induction Day

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LauraJeanD, Jul 9, 2011.

1. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Hi! I'm starting as an NQT in a reception class from September. I have met most of the children in my class during teaparties and preschool visits but on Monday I will have all of them at the same time without their parents for the first time. It's only for 45 minutes. I'm not really sure what sort of thing to do..I am definitely going to have various activities set out for them to explore but I was wondering what to do right at the start? and also should I attempt a carpet session with a story or will that be begging for trouble?

I'd appreciate any adivce :)

Laura

2. Think of something simple linked to your first topic that they can make for a display. I got the children to make their initial from salt dough, which was nice because they could try to spot their letter in Sept. Definitely make time at the end for a story. You want to make an impression on the children and give them the message that this is your room, and that you are in charge. Have fun, the time will fly!

3. MissASmith

MissASmith New commenter

I wouldn't attempt a carpet time yet. Have simple and engaging activities out for them to explore - similar to what they're used to at nursery. The idea of using an activity for a first display is fab. Hopefully their grown ups will be able to leave without too much stress- bear in mind there may be some tears. A story at the end is perfect, and as above poster said ideal for giving them an idea of what carpet time will entail and how they're expected to behave!

Good luck!

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

5. You may not have time for this as well as the other good suggestions you've had.
    I usually have a very short carpet time for children to 'introduce' themselves. I pass round a toy or puppet and ask the children to tell it their name.
    I only have half the class at a time on induction day (am/pm), so it's a quicker activity for me.
    I also have 1h30m as we use secondary transfer day and move the whole school up for the day.
    Just want to say as well, I like the inital letter idea, so thanks for that!

6. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Thank you so much everybody for all the advice! It helps hearing what works for other people. Looking forward to tomorrow! :)