1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ShonaAyres, Feb 4, 2019.

1. ShonaAyres

ShonaAyres New commenter

Hi I am looking for some help as I’m stumped by this problem with a child in my reception class. They are looking like they may not be ready for Y1 from work currently doing in class. Particularly handwriting, forming letters the correct way and numeracy. Have no issues with reading which seems ahead. Their attention seems very poor and I have asked their parents to work on things at home. However they are reporting that the things child is unable to do in class they are unable to do at home unless they turn it into a game. This is where I am stumped. If they ask the child to get “teddy” for example to answer the question or “show” them how to do it the child can. Has anyone come across this before?? School asked for outside SEN to assess but came back with nothing. Thank you

2. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

The only thing I could suggest was to research into dysplasia?