1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception-Group writing what do you do?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by starjin5, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi All
    Just wondering how you run your group writing sessions in Reception. I as much as possible try and lead from the childrens interests, ie last week a group of my boys had made some large rockets so I took photos and we used these as a stimulus and wrote labels and captions.
    I would be really interested to know how you run your writing sessions. I personally dont want children to copy and I try and get them as much as possible to say the word/sentence slowly and write down the sounds they can hear, they have reference to an alphabet mat and key words, and I give them ooodles and oodles of praise.I guess I feel like I should be doing more to support them without doing it for them. Sorry if I'm not making myself clear it is Sunday night after all!
    I also provide lots of opps for children to write throughout the day, the children if they want to help with any 'jobs' like giving out coats/bookbags they must write a note. If they want to display a model they have made they need to write a label for it etc.
    I would be really grateful for any responses.
    Have a wonderful week :)

2. Hi All
    Just wondering how you run your group writing sessions in Reception. I as much as possible try and lead from the childrens interests, ie last week a group of my boys had made some large rockets so I took photos and we used these as a stimulus and wrote labels and captions.
    I would be really interested to know how you run your writing sessions. I personally dont want children to copy and I try and get them as much as possible to say the word/sentence slowly and write down the sounds they can hear, they have reference to an alphabet mat and key words, and I give them ooodles and oodles of praise.I guess I feel like I should be doing more to support them without doing it for them. Sorry if I'm not making myself clear it is Sunday night after all!
    I also provide lots of opps for children to write throughout the day, the children if they want to help with any 'jobs' like giving out coats/bookbags they must write a note. If they want to display a model they have made they need to write a label for it etc.
    I would be really grateful for any responses.
    Have a wonderful week :)