1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception End of Term Assessment?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by c0ldplay, Feb 12, 2011.

1. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

I have a reception class comprising of 15 September starters & 15 January starters. As it is the end of half term next week I just wondered what other people do for their half termly assessments. I was in a foundation stage unit previously and the reception children did a whole class sat down "silent" spelling test and writing assessment. They also tested phonemes and did some sort of numeracy test. I haven't got any of these assessment documents however. I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me or point me in the right direction of any assessment resources. Obviously we observe and assess daily (ish) but I feel unsure regarding the summative assessment. I was in year one last year so I feel a bit out of touch with reception as I only started in January myself (long term sick cover).Many thanks for any answers.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG] good grief!

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Ongoing assessment in key in EYs.
    I do though however do an end of term (not half) individual phonics assessment (phonemes and graphemes) awareness, so I can plan my new term's phonics sessions. I use this as a formative assessment, so I can track whole class and individual gaps.
    Apart from that, we just feed all our observations into our end of tracker, and review targets with the children individually.

4. HI
    I always do a one-to-one phonics assessment with each child so I can make sure they are in the correct groups next half term (I often change them around)
    I also do simple number recognition/matching activities for the ones who I know haven't achieved these on the profile yet.
    Other than that I just update the profile in the holidays x