1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception-CLL-Handa's surprise-urgent!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 1Elmer, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Please help, im having a mental block and feel so thick! What ideas do people have for a CLL carpet session and group activities related to Handa's surprise? we have ofsted type people in on Monday first thing with mine and first session on Handa's surprise. I need something intereractive where their not on the carpet too long. Please please help.really worried about it and getting stressed

2. Please help, im having a mental block and feel so thick! What ideas do people have for a CLL carpet session and group activities related to Handa's surprise? we have ofsted type people in on Monday first thing with mine and first session on Handa's surprise. I need something intereractive where their not on the carpet too long. Please please help.really worried about it and getting stressed

3. Depends on your objectives as to what you want to teach- if your children are thinking about initial letters sounds you could match fruit (plastic/ real) to letter cards or match them up to objects that begin with those same sounds? or similar with animals?

If the children know the story well they could act it out in small world situation and you could "look, listen and note" their speaking and listening skills.

You could make your own group book eg Mrs ...s Surprise, they can help you think of what you might put in your basket (apples, bananas, tomatoes, milk, eggs...) and who might take each item away, they could write a shopping list for Handa to get other items for her basket- either group writing or they could do it themselves depending on their ability.

It depends on your objectives but they are a few ideas might give you some ideas that suit your class? good luck!

4. Some good stuff on www.communication4all.com as well, including a nice board game.

We did some maths based on the story yesterday, weighing the different fruits and sordering them by heaviest lightest etc. Went very well, then they looked closely at the fruit inside and out, then ate it! Lots of descriptive vocab came out.

5. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Why not tell the story with props . Have a Handa with a basket on his her head and ask the children to pick out the fruits as you tell the story- if you have hand puppets of animals they could put them on and pick out the fruit. Afterwards this could be a role play opprtu ity to try out themselves- using the book perhaps to tell the story in the right order. Your snacktime could link in with new fruits to try. Books about wild animals, fruits, Africa in a basket in the book corner. Mini books/ postcards of animals in writing area. Small world too with wild animals would link in nicely.</font>

6. Hi we have just done it and i had a lovely copy of a cd with the story on and music and dance activities. we based dance lesson on walking like handa with a basket and moving like the animals - as the cd suggest we also did oil pastel drawings of the fruit, fruit tasting, small world , little book, its a lovely story so enjoy it!!

7. Hi Clarity,
    Can you tell me what the name of that book is? Thank you.