1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception class timetable - please help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Twinkles, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Teaching just Reception from September after 2 years of mixed YR/Y1/Y2 - hooray! After being excited, now I'm terrified.
    What should my timetable look like? Do I have to teach CLL and PSRN every day like KS1 even though the EYFS says that all 6 areas are equal? How much direct teaching should there be? When the children are having CI time, should the activities be linked to our topic or can they choose anything at all?
    Been told that OFSTED will be coming before next Summer, and I'm KS1/2 trained so I'm trying really hard to get things right.
    Please help! Thanks a million [​IMG]

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Teaching just Reception from September after 2 years of mixed YR/Y1/Y2 - hooray! After being excited, now I'm terrified.
    What should my timetable look like? Do I have to teach CLL and PSRN every day like KS1 even though the EYFS says that all 6 areas are equal? How much direct teaching should there be? When the children are having CI time, should the activities be linked to our topic or can they choose anything at all?
    Been told that OFSTED will be coming before next Summer, and I'm KS1/2 trained so I'm trying really hard to get things right.
    Please help! Thanks a million [​IMG]

3. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

I suddenly went to straight reception last year. It's wonderful but also a bit scary when you're cut lose from that huge literacy/numeracy planning cycle.

Don't forget the start and end of the year will be very different. I found that the summer term was much more closely related to the "proper" teaching I felt comfortable with.

In September I have no planned times for activities. I plan to do 20mins phonics and 10mins counting every day, to happen by a point in the day, and then write everything else in afterwards. Ofsted loved it. I spend the day doing long observations to inform future planning, teaching them to use the classroom and get on with each other, and then add more things into the day when needed. I also found it unnerving just before Ofsted came that everyone else had nice big files to clutch full of neatly word-processed plans and I didn't - they loved that too. I had a space at the top of each weekly timetable to write on things from the previous week's observations, "Need to observe Sebastian to see if he is chosing to play in only one area/interacting with anyone else" or "provide opportunities for Elspeth to practise using numbers to 20 in a relevant context" "All children really excited by X, set up role play area to allow them to play X". I use the observations to write medium term plans - some for the whole class, some for a handful of children, some for just a couple. I put activities on post its and then I can move them about if necessary. Some weeks everything happened when I'd planned it to. Sometimes it didn't.
    Enjoy the freedom!

4. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

Oh, and once I'd set up the areas, I let them chose very freely. I add things if they're interested, take them out if they're not. There are times when you can lead those interests, times when they'll lead. I don't like the idea of abolishing all my topics and only following their interests, I have topics in place to follow, if they're enormously enthused by something else I can use I'll follow that, but I confess I mostly use topics. I might spin that balance a bit depending on who I'm talking to!

5. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Thank you so much! Could I possibly ask you to show me what your planning actually looks like? My school has no set planning to follow and I have to confess that I've always done pages for Y1/Y2 because I know how to do that and just had the YR children taking part in whole class teaching and then lots of CI without having anything much written down.
    I'm planning to have a topic for each term to give me something to start from but I have no idea how much planning I should actually have and what it should look like.
    Thanks again!

6. You sound like you have a really good system for planning -
    any chance you could email me a few samples too??! I'd love to see what it all looks like on paper.

Thanks, in advance

goonergirlagain@yahoo.co.uk

7. Please may I have a look at a blank format for planning.am moving to Reception after teaching KS2. Thanks
    melaniegarlick@yahoo.co.uk

8. Hiya
    I am moving to Reception too after working in boths KS1 and KS2! Am scared yet looking forward to it too.
    If it is possible, could you e-mail me those plans too. Just be great to have something to go on
    jennpaul@blueyonder.co.uk thanks

Also, officially your timetable should be 50/50 for CI and Adult-led. The observations and assessments should show 80% CI activities (to demonstrate they can do skill independently) and 20% adult led x hope this helps x

9. Hi,
    is thre any chance that i could see an example of your planning? I'm moving to reception from year 5/6 and don't know where to start!
    Thanks a million,
    Lisa.

10. your planning sounds great - i'd love to see a copy if you have time to email.
    teach77@hotmail.co.uk
    thanks

11. Can I be really cheeky and ask for a copy as well!
    Thanks
    silent_gem@hotmail.com

12. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

This sounds really good we have an EY adviser in before we broke up and she liked our plans and adult to child intiated ratio but ask how we folloewed children's interest from our observation. So if I could see a copy of your plans it would be really helpful.
    Thanks
    misspiggywig@yahoo.co.uk

13. Hi there, im quite new to this and would really appreciate a copy to. My email is lmcgonagle@sky.com. Many thanks

14. Pow

Pow

15. Hi I would be really interested to see how you reference children's interests in your planning - it wouldbe great if I could have a copy too,
    jmbear14@googlemail.com
    Thanks again!

16. primaryteacher23

primaryteacher23 New commenter

Hello S10327,
    Would it be at all possible to also request a copy of Your planning please!? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thankyou in advance,
    sugar18_3@hotmail.com

Primaryteacher23... x

17. Hi,
    Sorry to jump on the banwagon but i would love to see your plans and timetable.
    Please could you send to Bernie1011@sky.com
    Im sat here in a panic thinking of what i need to be planning for september eg what numeracy should i do, when should i do it etc
    I have a reception class of 16 and 5 year 1s.
    They are all coming in on a rotattion basis so on 1st september i will have my 5 year 1s and 6 of the new reception and i will have these for a week then the following Monday, 6 more newbies will join and then on the thursday the final newbies join so i wont have the whole of my children until the thursday but Im not too sure whether to start phonics straight away or wait till the Monday when they are all in and have had time to be familiar with everything
    What do you think?
    Thanks