1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception Class Learning Journey/Recording Observations

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rachel861, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Help!

I am thinking of changing the way learning journeys are recorded and need ideas of how they are done in different schools so that I can find a way that is child-friendly, parent-friendly and teacher-friendly!

I need to be able to include photographs, observations on post-its or labels, and on A4 sheets, children's work (even if it is reduced on the photocopier slightly), comments from parents etc, and would like them to be no more than A4 size if possible.

I would be really grateful of ideas or formats.

Thank you!

2. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Wouldnt it be funny if we didnt document anything the children did? I don't feel i have that much for my children so I may have to be using the above quote.

3. Do you get time out of class to do learning journeys ? Don't they take forever ?
    just sorting through observations and cross referenceing everything then putting it into the eprofilr takes me at least 2 days of every holiday, I am not giving up more of 'my time' for cutting and sticking into books.
    are they a legal requirement? or just seen as 'good practice' ? if it's the first then I for it and if it's the second then I'm just not that good ! (I haven't got any at all)
    wishing I was a lazydaisy not a wornoutdaisy !

4. firecracker

firecracker New commenter

I haven't got learning journeys either. I've asked my ey advisor and the moderator if they can show me one and neither has so I don't even know what one should look like !
    I'm not stressing . . . I know my children, I've got evidence comming out of my ears it's only another 4 and a bit weeks !!!!!!!

fc

5. In our Reception class we have our learning journals accessible for the children and they can (after checking with an adult) stick their own work in their books.
    We also have a fifteen minute session every week where the children go into their small groups and share their work and can stick in any extras. We have a fabulous TA who sorts out work for the books into separate trays for each of the key groups so that each of the four adults only has to worry about sorting their own groups work.
    We have a Friday lunchtime meeting to discuss the next week and any issues and during that time we will also chat and stick in any final pieces of work. Finally the aformentioned fabulous TA if she has an odd five minutes will do some sticking for anyone lagging behind in the job!
    We were drowning in work at the beginning of the year but we seem to be keeping on top of it with our new system.

6. What happens to everyone's learning journeys at the end of the year? I've done the same as Dragonflyali, (but without the use of a TA), and shared the books with the children. Some have actually taken photos of models they have made and then stuck the photos in their books. I've now been told that the children are not allowed to take them home but they have to be shredded! There's no time to share them with parents during parents' evening.

7. SHREDDED!!!! After all that work..and the only people who will really appreciate them are the parents and they will treasure them for ever!! If I thought they were going to be shredded I would NOT do them in the first place,,they take forever!!

8. WHAT?!?!?! Why on earth are the children not allowed to take them home?! If they're going to be shredded then they might as WELL go home with the children! That is shocking!!

9. As a Y1 teacher,.....sorry but they are of no use to me. You people in EYFS should spend more time doing what you do best and less time jumping through ever changing hoops....

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I take it APP hasn't come your way yet then!
    Im appalled that the learning journals [can't bring myself to say journeys] are shredded rather than sent hometo the only people with an interesting them. Why are they shredded, zulu? At risk of raising my blood pressure, please tell us what spurious reason you've been given for this act of vandalism.
    It makes me think that we should arm our new parents with scrapbooks and a couple ofo sticks of glue and to what nursery and reception used to do - send the pictures etc home as they were done and still meant something. Seriously.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Suppose a parent demands to take the LJ home. What happens then?

12. I would be interested to know where this directive has come from

13. No, no no they must not be shredded, as everyone else says they are very precious to the children and their parents. We've always been told that they belong to the children and at the end of the day the parents, ours go home at half terms and then come back, in the summer they are going home but coming back for the first few weeks in the autumn to share with next teacher up. Our KS1 teacher are doing LJ's next year too!!

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I have to say I've seen plenty of examples of "Learning Journeys" that I would happily shread if I was the child's parent

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

That sane remark has brought me down from my high horse a bit.
    When did journal become journey, by the way? Or is the similarity pure coincidence?
    I stick by my guns - send an empty scrapbook and a couple of glue sticks home with new children and deliver most of the accumulated nursery daubs home on Fridays.

16. Msz

I've left reception but only ever recorded those "special moments" in the children's books and utterly refused to link them to the profile. As a parent do you really want something labelled KUW6 or would you prefer just to have the picture of your child enjoying a Chinese banquet at New Year?

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

I agree.

What about nursery reports? Parent-friendly of jargon-riddled tosh?

18. Msz

I don't think jargon has a place in any reports certainly not in nursery (parents shouldn't need to ask for a translation of any communication we send home)

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Some people don't feel they're doing their job unless they're talking in Statement Speak.

20. I was moderated a couple of weeks ago and told I didn't have enough evidence in my learning journey's and as a result had to remove some scale points that I had awarded even though I know the children can do those things I couldn't prove it. I had photos, post its & some work but not enough apparently. At least I'll know for next time [​IMG]