1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception class layout help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by im1190, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I think it sounds fine how it is at the moment! I'm not a EYFS professional but surely the large shared area helps with increased social interaction between the children, and they would have more resources to use at one time. I guess it depends if you would prefer the continuous provision within the classroom, as opposed to the children having the leave the room?

2. They currently have a quiet area for carpet time then the whole wing free to use with a multitude of cp. And they enjoy the interaction which benefits learning as they learn from a wider perspective.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We used to work as an EYU (pre Foundation Stagelate 1990s) and had 2 separate classrooms which as you rightly say had to be resourced so effectively all equipment was duplicated - 2 sand trays-2 water trays - 2 home corners - 2 malleable tables - 2 .... all housed in a relatively small space.
    It isn't against EY philosophy to work as separeate classes but it may turn out to be a more expensive way of organising things.

4. Thanks for your responses. I was wondering if anyone thought about how effective the learning would be under each layout or if one way would be more suitable than the other? Basically are there more benefits to keeping the layout open plan than to closing classes off?

5. My own personal experience is that working in open plan meant we could use our budget effectively and also all children have availablitiy to high quality resources as we don't need to buy two of everything. We bought a huge set of hollow blocks and the children have never tired of suing them in a million and one different ways! Also working as a team means we can share good practice, support one another and learn from each other. Working in one room with the door closed meant I just recycled my ideas and I learned so much more and felt more supported by working as a team!
    Pat

6. Thanks Pat I agree with you entirely, I think I will do my best to persuade management not to close doors! Thanks all.