1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception Class interview

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by laurasg787980, Nov 30, 2015.

1. laurasg787980

laurasg787980 New commenter

I have an interview for a reception class job and wondered if everyone could help with some ideas.

I need to plan and deliver a 20 minute maths activity on number bonds to 10 with a group of 4 – 5 children.

I am trying to think of an interesting and practical way for children to learn it without over complicating it.

Any advice would be great

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Wow, they must be a bright group to be working on number bonds to 10. Do you know if the class uses numicon? Numicon is a very visual way to display number bonds.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I did this with four of my top mathematicians last week - they are bright, but not exceptionally so.

It is hard to pitch it when you don't know the children, so I would start off quite simply and see how they react. Be prepared to either keep things at the same level or make it more challenging, depending on how the children are responding.

Basically you want to look at "how many is 10" and then see how many different ways you can find to split 10. For example, you might put the children into pairs (although think of an alternative plan in case you are given 5 children!) and give each pair 10 objects. He takes 5 and she takes 5... how many do you have all together? 5 and 5 is the same is 10. Now can you split them in a different way? He has 7 and she has 3 (...etc).

If you have 20 minutes, it is worth including some kind of recording if the practical part is going well. You could model recording with pictures or with numerals.

Good luck with your interview!