1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception class cover

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rosie7uk, Dec 4, 2019.

1. rosie7uk

rosie7uk New commenter

Hi all,

I am looking for a definitive answer about Reception class cover. We currently have 2 teachers, 2 TAs and 1 very experienced Nursery Nurse in our Reception team. Can the Nursery Nurse and TA together cover short term absence of class teacher?

I have spent many hours trying to find the answer to this! It is clear that this comes under infant class size legislation and that 1 teacher can teach up to 30 children, Nursery ratio 1:13 where a teacher is present or 1:8 without but I can’t figure out how Reception needs to be covered in the event of teacher absence (other than supply teacher, our supply budget is very poorly). Please help!!

Many thanks,

Rosie

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on the level of qualification of the TAs for ratios.

But if the class generally needs a teacher with a TA and a NN, then to take away the teacher is asking a lot of the TA and NN.
    For the occasional PPA when the usual cover teacher is absent, then yes, depending on TA qualifications. But for a week or so, it seems a lot to ask.

P23 of this document.
    https://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2017/03/EYFS_STATUTORY_FRAMEWORK_2017.pdf

4. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I take over sole responsibility for 11 reception pupils in January. I am not a teacher I was brought into the school as an experienced TA to help in year 1/2 for half a term and am now moving to reception as the only teaching person for this set.

I still don’t understand how this is being done legally but I have years of experience so maybe that’s it.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If you're in an independent school or academy, they can pretty much do what they want to. But yes in an LA school there should be a teacher even for 11 pupils.

To the OP, it depends how big the class is. It sounds like that's a 2 form entry unit, so up to 60 children? In which case using a TA as cover occasionally would be fine as you would still have 4 adults, one of which is a teacher. It wouldn't be good long term though. If on the other hand, your classes are small eg 45 children, then having 5 staff is quite a luxury unless one is giving 1 to 1 support.