1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception child mirror writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by craftyangel49, Jan 25, 2016.

1. craftyangel49

craftyangel49 New commenter

Hi all,

One of my children is mirror writing, her letters are all upside down but a perfect mirror. She has eye sight problems, one eye wonders which happened as a result of a operation going wrong.

How can I help her to be able to write at least her name? Our school teaches pre cursive writing with the lead-ins but I think this is making it more complicated for her. We wonder if she might be dyslexic because there are other things that she does when reading and sounding out which are suggestive of that. I don't want to involve parents (I know I should) because Mum is a bit infamous and will kick up a right storm if she thinks I'm treating her daughter differently to the other children. She's come in shouting at another teacher before.

Any ideas?

Thanks all xxx

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Letter reversals and mirror writing are very common as you know and rarely a symptom of "dyslexia".
    I would make sure she is forming letters correctly - starting in the right places right direction and correct sequence of movements. I would put a mark to show where to start each line (perhaps an arrow indicating left to right as a reminder)
    Watching carefully as she writes can often be very revealing.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Yes, mirror writing is not unusual at this age. You get all sorts of variations - individual letters back to front or upside down, whole words written from right to left, etc. Your child may well sort it out naturally over the next year, but as she does have visual problems then it could be connected to this and require more support at some stage. I think it's too early to be especially worried, though.

Here are a few ideas to help her to write her name correctly:
    - create an outline of the letters (like bubble writing) and ask her to write her letters inside the outline
    - write her name in chalk on the ground/chalk board, and she can 'rub it out' by writing over it with a wet paintbrush
    - write her name using a highlighter and ask her to write over it with a pencil

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think you need to involve her parents if you genuinely think it is related to her eye operation.