1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception Baseline Scores

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by juliesusan, May 6, 2012.

1. Please can you all help?
    I need to find out the following information on a national level...
    What a below average baseline score for Reception is, what an average baseline score is and whatan above average baseline score is?
    Also how do you calculate the childs average point score on baseline?
    Thanks

2. The September review publishes national averages for June attainment. The baseline is still something that has not been reported. You can ask your Head to talk to Heads in his EIP cluster to gather baseline averages from all schools and see where your school sits. I do this and Ofsted were interested to see how we compared and discussed similarities and differences. Ofsted seem more interested in whats happening i the classroom than the paper work this time.

3. Thank you for your reply. We will see what today brings and and what questions Ofsted ask. I will try to remember to let you know the outcome.

4. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

She was asking for baseline scores, not June scores :)

You must have a very bright year group if your lower abilities are around six and most of yours are reaching point 9.

5. The September review publishes national averages for June attainment.
    The baseline is still something that has not been reported. You can ask
    your Head to talk to Heads in his EIP cluster to gather baseline
    averages from all schools and see where your school sits.[​IMG]

6. OFSTED should know better tbh - their own subsidiary guidance (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/subsidiary-guidance-supporting-inspection-of-maintained-schools-and-academies-january-2012) says the attainment on entry should be considered by looking at the proportions of pupils in the 30-50 and 40-60 months brackets for the 6 areas of learning.
    They should not be looking at your 'baseline' EYFSP scores to make a judgement on attainment on entry because it was only meant as a summative data collection. In some ways eProfile and other monitoring sytems have a lot to answer for because by recording by months it intimates progress on developmental points that aren't hierarchical.

7. I work at an international school - not in the UK. I am not experienced in EYFS but I have done what I can with the assessments etc. I am now very confused! Take the PSRN strand of development, for example, for NLC P9 states that children must 'recognise, count, uses and orders numbers up to 20'. This is achieved by the end of the year by most of the pupils, no? The PSRN strand of my Learning Journeys are the most completed. The least completed are the KUW and CD strands. Please help I am now wondering am I being too lenient on the scaling? For me it doesn't matter too much as I have no OFSTED or government to answer too however I would like to get this right!!! Thank you for any help!

8. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

I suppose it depends on your setting loudleah. I would imagine I will give point 9 in NLC to maybe 5 or 6 children. Incidentally this will be the strand with the most '9's awarded. The children must be consistently working with those numbers accurately. I work in a suburban school. We have bright children, but there is no way that I would give 9s to more than a handful of children in a year. They really have to be exceptional, as far as I have been led to believe.

I find awarding 9s on KUW and CD very difficult. It's when the points ask for that higher level of development and understanding that I think it is hard to award to the majority of 4 and 5 year olds. The KUW 9, says about the children producing plans and making amendments to their work. Now, lots of mine will amend their models as they go along. It is highly unlikely that they would ever plan what they were going to make without massive adult input. I am looking forward to being moderated in a few weeks so that I can find out how accurate our judgements are. Sometimes I think I am too restrictive in awarding / not awarding points!