1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reception assembly ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by champagne, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Bit premature I know (as this terms just ended today) but....really running out of assembly ideas! As of next term my class will have to do one every other week. Parents invited to watch once every month too. Please share any class assemblies you have done that have gone well. What books did you use, songs e.t.c? Much appreciated!!!!!
    Happy Christmas too! Enjoy your well deserved break!

2. Bit premature I know (as this terms just ended today) but....really running out of assembly ideas! As of next term my class will have to do one every other week. Parents invited to watch once every month too. Please share any class assemblies you have done that have gone well. What books did you use, songs e.t.c? Much appreciated!!!!!
    Happy Christmas too! Enjoy your well deserved break!

3. One every other week !Poor thing.

I have done ( memory having to be cranked up );

Mr Gumpys outing -with a real blow up boat ( perhaps best saved for parents)loads of parts and a good story to boot.

The bad-tempered Ladybird -again loads of parts and not many speaking( good for reception)

Schools now and then - with whiteboards vs blackboards , cane Vs Caring (stickers,helping),playground games etc

uuummm - mists have come down... cant think.. might come back .

4. Theres a great bk called It's tough being an infant which is a bank of poems and stories for infants with assembly ideas and songs activities and a poster on simple themes linked with a bible story and in the childs experiences enough for a term! its about £6-7 from Christian bk shops ill send u the ISBN but I use it every yr! u can blow the pics to A3 and colour laminate for further usage! Also I have done a whole theme on a bk called 'Wake up world' Oxfam on a multicultural theme about 8n children all around the world I used to do a chapter a week about their lives and what they do in a day compared to us! The children were engrossed!

5. We did one on the ugly duckling - linked to using words kindly or unkindly which went down well... mind you I did have y1 in the class who could read the story in the background and I remember giving the most able reader in the class a long prayer to read and her taking great pleasure in on the day throwing the card aside and saying it off by heart!

6. Thanks for all your great assembly ideas! Much appeciated!
    'Old Bailey' can you please give me the ISBN number for that book you mentioned. Thank you!
    Hope you all had a good Christmas!
    Please keep assembly ideas coming!

7. You have my sympathy; this is a tall order. I question the wisdom of making YR do assemblies, if only because the amount of learning that goes on is disproportionatly small to the preparation time &c &c., so why not look at simple, adult-led stuff where for example you tell a story and they do musical sound effects &c? I can't find my "It's tough..." but OB is right; it doe shave some good stuff in it.

8. We did one about the rainbow and when we got to each colour the children just brought out paintings they'd made using that colour palette - not the most inspired one - but at that point in term was all I could face.

You have my sympathies - the rotters at my last school decided to start the assembly rota at the bottom - so reception for first class assembly in September? That one was mean.

9. Ahaa ! I found my copy of Its tough...after much digging and delving in cupboards and under beds.

Its by Irene Brown and from the scripture union.
    ISBN 1-85999-030-4

My copy was £6.99 but that was several years ago.

The book gives ideas that you could use tied to a central theme for example;

"Knowing you are special" contains

1 A poem
    2 Bible story ;the lost sheep- with suggested questions to ask the children.
    3 Points to consider ;
    Do you know what precious means?
    Do you have anything that is precious to you?
    How would you keep something precious safe?
    etc
    4 Activities
    Make a special box for precious things out of various materials .Make a list of your precious things inside.etc
    5 A prayer

Not a bad start to making a lovely class assembly eh? And there are 20 different ideas -some of which naturally tie to certain times of the year.

Alternatively http://www.educate.org.uk/teacher_zone/teaching/inschool/assemblies.htm has lots of lovely ideas.
    Good luck

10. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Why on earth are you expected to do one assembly a week?
    I like the suggestions you have already recieved for parents assemblies, I also base mine around a book. Therefore I take it you are leading the other assembly weekly, will it be whole school or just key stage 1? if keystage 1 prehaps you could link it to PSHE or citizenship and read a story asking one or two questions at the end, then sing a couple of songs or number rhymes where you will pick those kids who have sat nicely, (this will as you have proberly guessed encourage them all to sit nicely, especially if it is a regular occurance)
    key stage 2 - Play a game of who wants to be a millionaire or the weakest link - linked to what kids are covering
    good luck

11. In reply to the person who did the bad tempered ladybird assembly. How long dd your assembly last for and how did you organsie it?

12. We only put one on a year! We usually base it on a story - The Little Red Hen, The sunflower that went flop, Tiddalik the frog etc or a theme like 'People Who help us. Yours must be short and sweet, perhaps showing something they are doing that week + a song and a prayer? Good luck..

13. Peace at Last is a great story to simply add sound effects and actions to. I used this with my Year Two Class and they loved it. It lends itself to a whole class recording too. You could talk about how important is to go to bed nice and early and get lots of rest! Good luck!