1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recep/Yr 1 - pirates week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by orchid77, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I am a trainee teacher and next week the class are doing a pirate week. I am really struggling to think of ideas. I like the idea of things like treasure hunts but am unsure how they would be structured. Please can someone help....i'm feeling very stressed! The class do an hour of literacy a day and this is what i'm struggling with the most!

Thank you.

2. I am a trainee teacher and next week the class are doing a pirate week. I am really struggling to think of ideas. I like the idea of things like treasure hunts but am unsure how they would be structured. Please can someone help....i'm feeling very stressed! The class do an hour of literacy a day and this is what i'm struggling with the most!

Thank you.

3. The topic of 'Treasure' (what I treasure) is always a good one to do. Either just discussing/describing or bringing in/photographs etc of something that they treasure - something they would want to keep hidden away.
    I've done it before where they then draw a picture of the object and write about why they treasure it. We then put all the work inside a treasure chest (which a group from the class had made).
    Later on we also let a group from the class select somewhere to store it in the classroom and they had a go at drawing maps to find it - the others then had to use the maps to work out where it was. We then swapped over and let the other half of the class find somewhere to hide it and draw maps etc.
    You could also let them write simple clues.
    Hope this helps
    Good luck [​IMG]