1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recently qualified teacher soon to be teaching Maths in FE...advice?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by omega-squared, Aug 3, 2016.

1. omega-squared

omega-squared New commenter

Hi everyone,

To give you an idea of my background, I have just completed a Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training at the age of 24, with me teaching mostly Further Maths (with some A-level Maths) in my teacher training placement. I am due to start teaching at an FE college in just under a month or so for my first full-time teaching post. I've been informed I am most likely to be teaching AS-level Maths with a bit of level 3 core maths with group sizes as large as 23.

I am a combination of excited and nervous for the role, as I have heard people say that the first year after qualifying is possibly the most stressful in a teacher's career. Does anyone have any advice on things I can do to make the transition to being a full-time teacher as seamless as possible, things to watch out for and any other advice you can think of?

Cheers :)

2. gemmahall07

gemmahall07 New commenter

Congrats on your job! I don't have any advice to offer as I'm only starting my PGCE in September, but I just wanted to say good luck!

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi
    Congratulations on your new job.

Before the term starts, try and get a copy of all the essential policies you need to know about from your school. Things like dress codes for teachers, behaviour policy for the students, where and how to get your resources photocopied.

Be as organised as you possibly can. If you have a scheme of work, do a bit of planning and map out the first few days/weeks of what you are going to teach.

Think about what you are going to do in case of conflict or other problems with your students. What are you going to do if students are late? What are you going to do if someone has a mobile out and is on it when you are teaching?

One of the most useful things I have ever studied is time management and organisational skills. Learn to make lists. At the end of each day, write a list of things you have to do the following day/week. Label them A, B, or C. A task are things that are urgent and you must do them, B tasks also need to be done, but can wait, and C tasks are nice to do tasks - it would be great if you can get them done, but it is not important if they don't get done.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Make sure you have worked through plenty of past exam papers for the exam board your students are sitting. The style of the questions varies considerably between exam boards, as does the content.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  5. femathsguidebook

femathsguidebook New commenter

Congratulations on your job offer, I took my post in an FE college teaching Maths at the age of 23. It's a tough start but you'll soon find a lot of reward in what you are doing!

I started to write a blog about my experiences teaching in this environment and what to expect (as well as what to expect teaching these subjects) at https://femathsguidebook.blogspot.co.uk/ and I regularly post new advice for supporting teachers to deliver both GCSE and Functional Skills Maths

Let me know what kind of advice you would like, it helps me to inform others and shape my approach. Best of luck in your new role!

saluki likes this.