1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recently Qualified Teacher opinions wanted

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by coachfulmail, Mar 13, 2020.

1. coachfulmail

coachfulmail New commenter

Hi,
    Thanks for opening this thread.

This is a survey for you if you have passed QTS & induction, so you may be in your second or third year as a teacher. It's just 11 questions & I'd like to think when you've filled it in, you'll feel positive & purposeful!

Please feel free to share with your peers:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TFD6KYH

I'm an experienced teacher from both secondary and primary background, with a passion for human kindness & the desire to see good teachers soar.

Jen x

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You'd get more responses if your link worked but as for how reliable they'd be...…?

3. coachfulmail

coachfulmail New commenter

Hi Shedman,
    I've seen other survey monkey questionnaires on this community & so far I can't work out why my link is blocked. Thanks for replying, do you have any idea what I need to do to make the link work?

In terms of reliable answers, I'm looking for personal anecdotal responses. I don't need them to be accountable or even robust research, particularly. But I'd be interested to hear why you think that, if you can spare the time.

Thank you!

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Hello @coachfulmail.

These are public forums and anyone can sign up and post and just because this is TES doesn't mean to say that all users are teachers or even related to education. A survey inviting a response can be completed by anyone and in whatever way they like. Some responses will be misleading or filled in randomly and you have absolutely no way of verifying the veracity of the response or the identity, standing or motives of the responder.

The cornerstone of legitimate academic research is that the data obtained should be reliable and from sources that can be verified. The results of a survey in which the identity of the responder and the truthfulness of the answers cannot be verified are simply worthless. You would not say, test medicines by using an anonymous survey so why do some people judge this to be a suitable method for researching educational issues? The most reliable method of gathering research information from teachers is to interview them face to face so that at least their status can be established but as to whether they're being truthful is another matter but at least your data has a higher probability of being accurate.

You don't say why you are calling for responses to your survey and if it is out of general interest then I have no issue with that but if, as many survey posters do, intend to use the responses as part of an academic paper or dissertation then the research is absolutely useless because none of it can be verified. It also seems to me to be a very lazy way of doing 'research', people are basically asking others to submit research to them which they then write up as if it was rigorously obtained. Were I a university tutor or a student supervisor and a student had submitted 'research' gathered by anonymous survey, I would reject it out of hand.

coachfulmail likes this.