1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recent relevant experience

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cleversparkle, Feb 2, 2016.

1. cleversparkle

cleversparkle New commenter

Long story short, I have worked in SEN for 5 years and have recently applied and been shortlisted for a number of mainstream positions. The feedback from my latest unsuccessful interview was that I didn't have enough 'recent relevant experience' which, I'm guessing, refers to me not teaching Y12/13. I was explicit about this on my application form and also clear about the measures I have taken to ensure I have stayed 'in the game', so to speak.

Has anyone else come across this? Being told you weren't a suitable candidate after interview based on something they already knew? More importantly, has anyone successfully made the transition back to mainstream from SEN and if so how did you manage it?!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh yes!

Pretty common really. It's just that they can't think what to say to you . . .

I always feel that rather than asking for feedback, it would be better to ask if they have any suggestions for your next application and interview. Feedback can make them uncomfortable, you see, so they go all bland and Don't say anything they could try and disprove.

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

All I can say is: don't take it to heart, and best of luck for the next go.

3. cleversparkle

cleversparkle New commenter

Thanks @TheoGriff. It's something that has played on my mind previously this lack of recent relevant experience so I'm afraid I did take it rather personally this time! On the bright side, it has spurred me to do something about it and I plan to rectify the situation by volunteering in mainstream on my days off.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exam marking might also be possible . . .

Best wishes

cleversparkle likes this.