1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Recent Deal - Monitoring Implementation

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by GuessWho, May 21, 2011.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

Following the recent ballot (where around only 12000 EIS members voted to accept the proposals) I wonder how the EIS (and other unions) intend to monitor the deal.
    The teacher number thingy will be checked through the September census.
    More pressing is the "guarantee" of posts to apply for for NQTs.
    From information received on the grapevine various LAs are approaching this in a variety of dubious ways ranging from fixed term one year contracts to putting NQTs on the supply list - neither of which actually reflects the wording of the deal (such as it is).
    "sufficient teaching posts available for all probationers to apply for who achieve Standard for Full Registration in summer 2011 (i.e. successfully complete their probation)"
    At which point does this pledge get fulfilled and who is monitoring it?
    How many jobs should be available...clearly it should be in excess of probationer numbers.

2. GuessWho

Just a thought....
    "sufficient teaching posts available for all probationers to apply for who achieve Standard for Full Registration in summer 2011 (i.e. successfully complete their probation)"
    What does the quote above mean?
    If there are 10 English NQTs...should there be 10 posts?
    or
    Can the LAs argue that all they need is to have one post and all 10 can apply?
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was the latter - bearing in mind the increase in S1 and S2 class sizes in Maths and English has resulted in fewer Maths and English teachers being required.

3. I think it's the latter. The NQTs in my school have been told there will be one---ONE---or maybe two at the most---posts available for all the NQTs in the whole LA. But they'll all be interviewed for it.
    Cynical b**tards.

4. GuessWho

That being the case perhaps the EIS will gear itself up to write a threatening letter about this situation!

5. For all the good that will do.

6. GuessWho

I was being facetious...the EIS only send threatening letters to thier own reps.

7. GuessWho

"THEIR"

8. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

"sufficient teaching posts available for all probationers to
    apply for who achieve Standard for Full Registration in summer 2011
    (i.e. successfully complete their probation)"

And the rest of us. I am struggling to find anything to apply for this year and have been removed from supply lists, in one case to make way for the golden year.