1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recent Cookbook Purchases

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Aug 1, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Got two great cookbooks for my birthday (Cooking on the Bone: Recipes, History and Lore by Jennifer McLagan - a fabulous exploration of cooking on the bone with lots of science and history as well as recipes; The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters - a beautiful book with lovely writing and recipes - everybookshelf should have this book).
    And I've also spent a couple of happy hours buying second-hand from Amazon Marketplace and bought these, ranging in price from a penny to the most expensive being £2:
    Keep it Simple: A Fresh Look at Classic Cooking - Alistair Little
    Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook - Alice Waters
    Eating In - Fay Maschler
    Italian Food - Elizabeth David
    Summer Cooking - Elizabeth David

Looking forward to a happy 5 weeks remaining holiday devouring and cooking from these...

Anyone else bought much goo recently?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Got two great cookbooks for my birthday (Cooking on the Bone: Recipes, History and Lore by Jennifer McLagan - a fabulous exploration of cooking on the bone with lots of science and history as well as recipes; The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters - a beautiful book with lovely writing and recipes - everybookshelf should have this book).
    And I've also spent a couple of happy hours buying second-hand from Amazon Marketplace and bought these, ranging in price from a penny to the most expensive being £2:
    Keep it Simple: A Fresh Look at Classic Cooking - Alistair Little
    Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook - Alice Waters
    Eating In - Fay Maschler
    Italian Food - Elizabeth David
    Summer Cooking - Elizabeth David

Looking forward to a happy 5 weeks remaining holiday devouring and cooking from these...

Anyone else bought much goo recently?

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've bought a couple of Annabel Karmel books recently.
    Not actually a cookbook, but I bought Julia Child's autobiography 'My Life in France' from Amazon in the early hours of this morning as well as a cake-making cookbook from the River Cottage series, 1000 classic cocktails (I've no idea), a jam and chutney book by Marguerite Patten and a book on making cake decorations.
    I think the next time the baby wakes me up kicking at 2.00am, I'll stay in bed. Its cheaper.

4. egyptgirl

But I didn't see any "goo" on Amazon, Nick!

5. Cooking on the Bone is Climber's book de jour, he is enjoying readiing every word on every page - you will love it, nick.
    I have had the Lizzy David books in my hands - I suspect my sister relieved me of them when she quit being veggie! I haven't re-found them since, so I'd love a review.
    My latest buys have been on preserving, bottling, jamming etc. So I am out of the food loop at the moment! My life is sticky and consists of avoiding wasps when picking gages at the moment!
    I look forward to reading your reviews - no pressure.....

6. EG, what's the RW cake book like? I haven't bought it, is it worth half an hour in Waterstones?

The MP book on jams is great - it is my book of choice at the moment - easy to use and gives consistent results. I do have more complicated/modern versions ready to take over when I have my preserving mojo back [​IMG]
    I am currently cooling greengage jelly and contemplating greengage cheese using her damson recipes and half the sugar (lots of sterilising).

7. But these biscuits are English, not what you'd think of as American cookies, the things that seem to have taken over our staffroom [​IMG]
    The joy of making your own Rich Tea biccies is probably sad, but I have missed good biccies!

Pam the Jam has a couple of preserves books I think. I have the River Cottage one as I had a voucher (I also have the hedgerow and bread one, maybe even the veg one too - it was a big voucher).

8. My local library is closing, so I've had to join next nearest but in a different borough. Anyway, today I've borrowed, all brand new:

Tom Aikens Cooking

Raymond Blanc Kitchen Secrets

Simon Rimmer Rebel Cook

and slightly embarrassingly, James Martin My Kitchen

Large brew and a happy afternoon's reading methinks [​IMG]

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ahhh...no need...young babies produce plenty of goo, of all varieties, EG. As you'll soon see [​IMG]

10. egyptgirl

And in the meantime, I have my lovely daughter who has learnt to take off her nappy just after she has filled it to keep me occupied. As you may soon see. [​IMG]

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

we had that too - nappy pins through the tabs on the nappies soon put an end to it and transferred the demand for a clean nappy into a verbal one, which didn't take too long to become a request for the potty!

12. ljr

ljr New commenter

I've also raided my local library and am loving 'Orchards in the Oasis' by Jocelyn Dimbleby - its a travel book, autobiography & cookery book all in one.
    I also got 'Bread Matters' by Andrew a Whitley. Its a serious looking book with lots of explanatory & preparatory writing but I can't wait to try some of the different breads, perhaps I'll even try the sourdough recipe.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Cardamom and Lime by Sarah al-Hamad

Tamarind and Saffron Claudia Rodin

and one on Palestinian cookery, can't remember the name.

14. Today's library haul:

Rose Prince - Kitchenella

Nick Nairn - Cookery School

Jo Pratt - can't remember, but I've already chosen five new mid week term time meals! [​IMG]

15. You do realise you'll definitely have to share them with us now, esp for me as they'll be GF [​IMG]

16. It's not new, but it's new to me, I bought the Jamie Oliver 30 min one and really like it. I rarely make every aspect of the meal (pudding is often missed and I'm not crazy about his (often to lemon-heavy) salads either). I often try a new one at the weekend when I have more time then can whizz it up quickly mid-week.
    My partner bought me the Julia Childs book but, if I'm honest, the lack of coloured pictures put me off a bit. I've only used it was and although it was great it was really time consuming.
    I'd love to know what people think of the River Cottage books as I adore the series and that was next on my shopping list. I often find myself looking online for something I'm after and thus far have had great results, I especially like the fact that they often have reviews and helpful comments e.g. if it needs extra water for pastry.

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

I got Rick Stein's Spain book for under £9 off The Book People - the pictures are fab but I haven't had a chance to use any of the recipes yet.

18. Today's library cache included:

Pub Food - Gordon Ramsey and Mark Sergeant

Complete Mushroom - Antonio Carluccio

Veg - Gregg Wallace

Have chosen six recipes from Greg Wallace so far [​IMG]

19. I got Wild Food by Ray Mears. Haven't gone out foraging yet.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just bought 100 Great Breads by Paul Hollywood, he's certainly a man who knows his breads!