1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Receiving Personal Packages/Parcels are work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jpd1903, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jpd1903

jpd1903 New commenter

Hi, I just wondered on what your school's policy is on receiving personal parcels (mainly online shopping I suppose) at work.
    Most seem to do it, I certainly do as most things don't fit through the letter box but I have been asked to stop receiving personal items at work, which makes my life difficult as the school and my home are in a very rural location away from the increasingly popular parcel drop-off points.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My school allowed it, but I have read that a number of employers are banning the practice as it does create issues with storage and distribution if it becomes too much. There was also a problem when something went missing and the person concerned blamed the school. It is not something that employers have to agree to.

3. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

We were allowed it until just before Christmas when a colleague had a double bed mattress delivered to work ...

4. Anonymouse4

Anonymouse4 Occasional commenter

:eek: There's always one who takes things too far and ruins it for everyone else!

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Parcel delivery at work is increasingly popular in the USA:

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

How did they get it home?

7. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

We do all wonder about that because her car is not very big???

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Perhaps she bought it to use at school.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Boo hoo! For school reception staff to receive parcels they have to stop what they're doing, admit a complete stranger, take the package and put it somewhere safe; the nicer ones will also feel compelled to contact you and ask to pick it up, and then when you show up, they have to stop what they're doing, retrieve it and then secure the storage space again. The items they are handling are obviously personal items for staff, yet at the same time they may be dealing with parents, phone calls, children, other staff, back ache, outside agencies, tussles in the car park, breakages and injuries. Things they are contracted to deal with. Even just two or three personal packages in one day would be galling to me in this position.

The reason your school has stopped you doing this now, not earlier, will be because it has increased, which indicates something else ought to be set up...Is there any sort of shop near the school at all? If so, you ought to ask if they would consider joining up to a courier drop off and pick up scheme, such as Hermes. You could also ask larger places, eg petrol stations, if they would consider setting up an Amazon Locker facility. Your school in itself might provide the demand needed to persuade some local changes, and if your community is rural, it will also be of benefit to others.

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

We're still allowed to do it, although I know it sometimes stresses the office staff ... so our days are probably numbered.

11. altally

altally New commenter

Sounds like the right decision by the school.

wanet and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If the school doesn’t allow it then they need to make sure there are no exceptions: not the head, not the secretary, not the caretaker otherwise it would not be fair.

A double bed mattress though, that takes the biscuit!

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We still allow it, we have great fun trying to figure out what some of the parcels are ( although to be fair, we have never had a mattress delivered!) It's in infrequent occurrence but still accepted!

14. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

For goodness sake - what is the problem here? I could understand if it was constant or a big item but otherwise? Where has common sense gone?

Jesmond12 likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My company, not a school, used not to be bothered but as the number of parcels arriving soared they have now forbidden it, Because the staff who have to sign for and store your parcels are actually employed to be doing something else. I suspect that as online shopping has grown many employers who used to be not bothered about it will say no because of the disruption. No-one has a right to have their personal shopping delivered to their workplace.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Piranha likes this.
  16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It was never a problem when I was a HT.

Anything to make life easier for staff.

17. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I agree!!

sparklepig2002 and nomad like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The office staff at my school were all nice people, but busy too, and I doubt if they'd have been happy with signing for sundry private parcels for teaching and support staff throughout the day. The variety of couriers would add to the problem too. If it was just Royal Mail turning up with everything in one go that's got to be better than all the others arriving at different times.

Small primary, perhaps - large secondary, almost unmanageable I would have thought.

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It's possible to have your parcels delivered to local shops....

20. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

My old school allowed it. No-one took the mick, so it was fine.

My current school doesn’t allow it at all. This even extends to exam papers, if teachers are also examiners, which seems a little harsh.