1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reccomend a holiday book!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by regencyrob, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I am male - nearly 30 what books should I be taking on my holidays!
    Like anything really! Comedy, Fantasy, Crime, BIO
    Have read all of Chris Ryan favourite book is Mr Nice.
    Enjoying new Lincoln Rhyme thriller at the moment.
    Already have Game of Thrones Bk1 to take with me as I enjoy fantasy too! Shame Feist's new book not due until autumn.
    Cheers!!

2. Richard Branson's biog, to help get you out of teaching.
    Bill Bryson - The Thunderbolt Kid
    Something by james Patterson

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Not sure if you've come across these (I'm sure that you will have) but I am currently enjoying Andrea Camilleri and have quite enjoyed some of Donna Leon's work too. I should also add Harlan Coben to that list as well.

4. The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Pirates, war, philosophy, sex, drugs, solomonic gold, real historical people (Newton, Hooke, Leibniz). They are a great read.

cyolba, agent for one N. Stephenson of Seattle :)

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Neil Gaiman is good for a laugh...

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Have you read any Terry Pratchett? He's got a pretty extensive back catalogue to get into, if you haven't...
    The Yes Man is great- very readable, very funny. By Danny Wallace.
    The Dice Man is good too, an odd book but entertaining. (Luke Rheinhardt)
    Jo Nesbo books are also good: The Snowman, The Devil's Star and there are others. Norwegian detective novels.

7. erp77

erp77 New commenter

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I usually take one or two that are set in the place I am going so I can get into the feel of the book and the place. Fiction and/or factual.
    I've been reading blokey historical fiction recently, Anthony Riches Roman books and Patrick O'Brian for sea-faring adventures.

9. I am looking up quite a few of these on Amazon now.
    I like real history books like Bernard Cornwell.

I have an interest in medieval history, including grail history, templar and crusade history too

10. I like to do Biography when on holiday

over the last couple of years
    *Michael J Fox ... there are a number of them
    *Barrack Obama ... I liked Audacity of Hope more than Dreams of my Father
    *Chris Evans ... It's not what you think
    *Michael McIntyre ...Live and Laughing
    *Alan Davies ... Teenage Revolution
    *Duncan Bannatyne ... Anyone can do it

Then some odd (not biography) but I liked
    *Mobius Dick - Andrew Erumey
    *The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    *The Alchemist - Paulo Coello

11. I like these - I am not a demanding reader so I like a bit of crime/thriller usually.

http://www.peterjames.com/books

Just working my way through the "Dead" series.

Also Jeffery Deaver - (not just the Lincoln Rhyme novels) is usually good for a holiday read as is Michael Connelly and Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels.

12. Try taking a dictionary.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Snap.
    I think I've read them all now [​IMG] Thoroughly enjoyable.
    RR - Have you read any James Hawes?

14. bed

bed New commenter

Contact by Carl Sagan - quite a lot of theology/philosophy wrapped up in a good yarn
    The Course of Honour - Lindsay Davis - well researched Roman historical true story
    any of the Falco detective novels - same author and period. (Especially Silver Pigs)

15. WHat is the point of this post? Pedant!
    Not read any James Hawes - what are they like?
    Read all of Jeffery Deaver books

16. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Try Lee Childs for an easy read in the action/thriller type. The earlier the better when looking at his books; Tripwire was my favourite. Even though I'd read the book that he wrote after Tripwire and so knew how it must end, my heart was pounding.

Christopher Brookmyre's earlier books really funny, really black comedy. Don't read if you're shocked by bad language. One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night and Quite Ugly One Morning are his funniest. Not the End of the World is his most jaw dropping brilliant book; but if you're not used to his style of writing it could be a bit much as an intro to his books.

I don't know who suggested The Dice Man but please no! Starts well, good idea, but in the end all it is, is a man rolling a dice! (In my opinion any way)

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Carl Hiaasen:

Skin Tight
    Lucky You
    Strip Tease
    Double Whammy

There are more but these are all brilliant, laugh-aloud thrillers set in Florida. They all have an eco slant [though not in a pious way] and the characters, plots and action are all outrageous.
    Any other Hiaasen fans out there?

Joseph Connelly is consistently good.
    Thomas Perry is wildly exciting and does funny pretty well too. Metzger's Dog is hilarious.
    Janet Evanovitch is great fun.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I enjoyed the ones I have read; very funny, outrageous and dark, a bit like Chrispopher Brookmyre in terms of humour.
    I also recommend any travelogues by Bill Bryson and Tony Hawks, especially if you want your funny bone tickled almost constantly. They excel in writing the travelogue-lite. If you fancy something more educational and 'meaty' try Colin Thubron; Shadow of the Silk Road, The Lost Heart of Asia, Among the Russians but to name a few. Fascinating journeys where he explores not only the present day but delves into the past.

19. I never turned pages more avidly than when reading Thomas Harris' Hannibal Lecter books- Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. Not for the squeamish, but brilliantly compelling

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman novels are hilarious and offer interesting slants on history.