1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rec/y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 3062melissa, Sep 10, 2011.

1. May seem a silly question but when my year ones are doing a focused Maths or Literacy activity should Rec be doing a child initiated one to do with that subject or can they choose in any area still?im abit confused how to set up my day to cater for both.at the mo im working with y1s and TA is doing assessments with rec and keeping an eye over the others.
    Help pls!!x

2. May seem a silly question but when my year ones are doing a focused Maths or Literacy activity should Rec be doing a child initiated one to do with that subject or can they choose in any area still?im abit confused how to set up my day to cater for both.at the mo im working with y1s and TA is doing assessments with rec and keeping an eye over the others.
    Help pls!!x

3. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I'm certainly no expert on how to run a fs/y1 class as I just do the best I can and always feel I'm chasing my tail and not providing adequately for one group or another. However, I have taught fs and y1 separately and would like to point out the 'child initiated' is just that, so wouldn't be CI 'to do with that subject'. I'd suggest you do a mix of CI activities, with provision of resources/activities that link to the subject being taught, but also run adult-led activities for the subject. I currently try to balance y1s working with an adult whilst fs either have CI (after initial whole class input) or work independently on a task, with getting y1s more independent and working alone whilst TA or I work with fs. Either way, it's a juggling act!

4. I let mine chose from any area. There may be other maths/ literacy activities available to them but I don't say they have to do them. The rec children are entitled to their CI learning and it is vital to their learning.