1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding Relationships

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 6avin, Mar 22, 2017.

1. 6avin

6avin New commenter

Today was a horrible day for me. I sent ten of the children out of my class to speak with the vice principal and I ended the day stopping twenty minutes before home time to shout and rant about the recent Behaviour and attitudes in my class.
    It was very necessary however the matter in which I did it was not called for. I was screaming at the top of my voice and picking out mostly negatives from the past two weeks. Recently I've felt as if I have 'lost' the class. There is no momentum or passion anymore. Books look atrocious, work is half assed and there is a general low in the class.
    If anybody has any advice how I can address this and rejuvenate our class spirit I would love to hear from you.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't know how long you have been teaching but perhaps there is someone at your school you can ask for advice. I think it will be difficult for anyone on here to help without knowing you, your school and your class.

It's possible, though, that the class don't feel as bad about it as you do - water off a duck's back. I taught Reception but can remember a day when I felt like I had been shouting and moaning all day. I walked the children out of school thinking I was a **** teacher when a little girl (one of the good ones) came up to me and said 'We've had a nice day today haven't we?'. Bless her.

Calpurnia99, phlogiston and 6avin like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Tomorrow you go in and smile. Tell them very first thing that you are determined to have a good day. Yesterday is no more and today you know that today will be splendid. You have lots of stars, stickers and treats for them and everyone is going to be tip-top and that includes you.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Been there one way and another. It's that time of year when you seem to be chasing your tail. Lots of people are tired, depressed and run down after winter.
    As Inky says, talk to someone (constructive).
    Can you structure a couple of lessons where most of them can succeed and be rewarded with a bit of effort?
    Try and find some contructive things to praise - I bet there are some quiet kids trying not to annoy you who need a bit of a boost.

Good luck.
    Soon be Easter

Beat me to it GDW

Dragonlady30 and InkyP like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If I feel I might become too shouty due to the classroom dystopia/sheer exhaustion combo, I sit down. It is almost impossible to shout at a class when sitting down.
    Plus when I sit down they know by now I'm annoyed so they go quiet, allowing me to talk. Sitting.
    Works a treat.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Good one. Whenever I had to Have A Word* (not Primary), it always went off better side by side than face to face.
    God knows how you do what you do but GDW's advice sounds good to me.

*If you taught in a bargepole high school, a shouty "Well cluck you all, what do you think I'm gonna do, go home and cry? Aren't I supposed to be helping YOU ungrateful shovelfuls get a qualification? Anyone not want one? I can help you with that. Just keep treating me like you trod in me at the bus stop" helped me as well as (maybe) them.
    Goes right over the heads of the average 5 yr old, which is why I'd rather fry my own liver than teach Primary. :)

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have occasionally thrown out my arms and paced deliberately to the board and banged my head against it slowly and repeatedly. Not hard!!!!

I then follow it with a dramatic, "Why??????"

Some bright spark will eventually dare to ask, "Why what, Miss?"

Why does it have to be like this? Why can't we all try to get on with each other? Is anyone actually enjoying this bickering?

Then smile expansively and go the positivity route. Primary is basically performance art. With learning. Tiring. But hugely enjoyable when it goes well. You do have to put a lot of effort in though and it has been a miserable winter.

ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Absolutely.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Some years ago we had someone come into school a couple of days a week to give some sort of counselling to kids who needed it, she said that November and March were always her busiest times. Her words stuck with me and I have noticed that in myself I am at my lowest in the yearly cycle in those months.

So it's partly the ebb and flow of the year, next week there will be an extra hours daylight in the evening and you and they will realise that the Easter holidays aren't far off.

6avin likes this.