1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reassurance that it's ok to take a break from teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by badjelly, Jun 24, 2012.

1. I am coming to the end of a temporary contract at a primary school where I have been working for the last 3 years (they have continued to give me short term contracts - maternity cover etc. rather than taking me on permanently). I stayed because i had just finished my PGCE and needed to get my induction done - which is now completed :) .
    My time there has not been ideal, I did a full 16 months PPA cover before they finally agreed to let me be class based and do my induction. I have not really received the required support in planning and have mostly been left to get on with it. This resulted in me being signed off work for stress and exhaustion earlier this year (for about 3 weeks). I have persevered and started looking for a permanent job at Easter. I applied for the vacancies at my own school and was shortlisted but did not get the job - based on my interview (I don't think i came across as confident enough). I haven't been shortlisted from my other applications.
    I am still keeping an eye out for suitable vacancies but with only 4 weeks left of term am also thinking of taking some time out from teaching to get some perspective back. Everything I read makes out that once you are out of the game it is much harder to secure a job as things constantly change and you become out of touch. I want to believe that i could still be in the runnings for a job start in January (and better for it for taking a break).
    On the plus side - feel I am just starting to get a proper feel for the job and the children (this is the first time i have had the same class for a full academic year). Anyway a bit of a ramble just wanted some reassurance that all will not be lost if I haven't secured a job by the summer holidays.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. I am coming to the end of a temporary contract at a primary school where I have been working for the last 3 years (they have continued to give me short term contracts - maternity cover etc. rather than taking me on permanently). I stayed because i had just finished my PGCE and needed to get my induction done - which is now completed :) .
    My time there has not been ideal, I did a full 16 months PPA cover before they finally agreed to let me be class based and do my induction. I have not really received the required support in planning and have mostly been left to get on with it. This resulted in me being signed off work for stress and exhaustion earlier this year (for about 3 weeks). I have persevered and started looking for a permanent job at Easter. I applied for the vacancies at my own school and was shortlisted but did not get the job - based on my interview (I don't think i came across as confident enough). I haven't been shortlisted from my other applications.
    I am still keeping an eye out for suitable vacancies but with only 4 weeks left of term am also thinking of taking some time out from teaching to get some perspective back. Everything I read makes out that once you are out of the game it is much harder to secure a job as things constantly change and you become out of touch. I want to believe that i could still be in the runnings for a job start in January (and better for it for taking a break).
    On the plus side - feel I am just starting to get a proper feel for the job and the children (this is the first time i have had the same class for a full academic year). Anyway a bit of a ramble just wanted some reassurance that all will not be lost if I haven't secured a job by the summer holidays.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

3. Dancing Butterfly

Dancing Butterfly New commenter

Hi badjelly,

Sorry to hear you haven't had the greatest time.

I'm Secondary, but I'm assuming the job situation is similar - not enough jobs and 100s of applicants for each post. I finished a fixed term contract last August and took a career break to go travelling for 6 months; I got back at the end of April and made sure that my applications explained how my travelling experience would benefit the school. I obviously did something right as I got interviews for all 4 of my applications and was offered a job after only 2 interviews (Initially I didn't get the 2nd job but 3 weeks later another teacher gave notice and instead of re-interviewing the school rang and offered me the job).

Whilst I know my experience isn't exactly typical, and job hunting in Jan won't be easy I would say that a short break from teaching doesn't mean you won't get another teaching post. Just make sure that whatever you do in the break you explain how it will benefit the school in your application :)

Good Luck!

4. Thanks for your advice - great news that it worked out for you :)