1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why being man less is good.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Jan 25, 2012.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Broke up with my ex about 3 months ago, my decision and it was the right one. Since then I have had a bit of a flirtation with someone from work which naturally fizzled out (for the best!) and have been seeing someone new for a few weeks.
    Things were a little odd with the guy I am seeing this evening, may be all over and done, may not be. The bigger issue is that in the past 12yrs I have been single no longer than about 2 months, one 2yr (ish) relationship to the next.
    I now live on my own away from friends and family (moved up because of now ex!) and realise that I need to deal with the possibility of being on my own.
    So......please can I have reasons why being manless/single is a good thing preferably without things about seeing friends more because that is not really an option!

2. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Broke up with my ex about 3 months ago, my decision and it was the right one. Since then I have had a bit of a flirtation with someone from work which naturally fizzled out (for the best!) and have been seeing someone new for a few weeks.
    Things were a little odd with the guy I am seeing this evening, may be all over and done, may not be. The bigger issue is that in the past 12yrs I have been single no longer than about 2 months, one 2yr (ish) relationship to the next.
    I now live on my own away from friends and family (moved up because of now ex!) and realise that I need to deal with the possibility of being on my own.
    So......please can I have reasons why being manless/single is a good thing preferably without things about seeing friends more because that is not really an option!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What's so bad about it?

4. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Nothing in particular, just lonliness I suppose. Wouldn't be as much of an issue if I had a larger social life and/or family. Also never lived on my own before, so double whammy really.

5. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

What an opportunity! Finally you'll have the time and the focus to pursue those interests/goals/hopes/prospects/explorations that have been hanging around waiting for your attention.

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've lived on my own for years. It's never been a problem. I don't know how people have time for relationships.

7. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

How do you fill your time?

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Watching what I like on TV
    Eating when and what I like (took some time to stop putting what he liked the the trolley at the supermarket)
    Reading in bed till really late if I want
    Being able to work all evening without being made to feel guilty
    Taking a few wrong turns when driving without someone tutting
    Oh just generally doing what I like doing :D

9. Oh, for a house where my stuff is where I left it, rather than "tidied" away somewhere terribly impractical.

10. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

[​IMG]Make lots of new friends
    Not being stuck with the same boring f a rt the whole time
    Getting out of the terrible rut you've been in for years
    Learning the amazing art of doing things on your own
    Joining things you'd never've joined with him around
    Doing what you feel like when you feel like
    Having noone around to irritate you
    Having the bed to yourself
    Looking at all those tedius couples having yet again the same conversation and being so happy it's not you
    Eating what you want
    Not having to consult anyone about what to buy/do/think/feel
    I could do a longer list than this.............................................[​IMG]
    Don't feel like this though[​IMG] It's sooooo not scary once you get over the shock initially!

11. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

I would give my eye teeth!
    Getting on top of work/marking. Vegging out - not providing meals/clean clothes/clean house other domestic stuff. Watching DVDs back to back at weekends without any work ethic coming in to play. Walking, joining walking/womens groups for holidays

12. What's not to love about it??
    I've been alone for nearly 6 years now and it's fine. I really enjoy having space and time for myself after work, and I have lots of hobbies and friends to keep me busy. On the rare occasion that I catch myself feeling a bit lonely or missing my ex, I remind myself of all the great things I've done since we broke up that I know full well would never have happened if we'd stayed together.
    High points of day-to-day singledom are:
    Having a double bed to yourself
    Cooking what you want to eat and not having to worry about someone else's preferences
    Not having to answer to anyone about where you go, who with and when
    Sole possession of the remote control on nights at home
    No one to argue with and no moods to put up with
    No one else's mess to have to deal with; everything is always as you left it
    Guaranteed eace and quiet after a long day of dealing with noisy teens

Enjoy the time to yourself!

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Judging off some of the moving pictures encountered on the interweb, you ladies seem to be able to have fun on your own. [​IMG]

14. I've been on my own for nearly a year - but unlike some posters, I'm very lucky as I have my 3 boys at home, so to be fair not really on my own!!
    But this time last year, I was in a job I hated and I also had no outside interests....... now I've changed jobs to one I absolutely love, I am out doing some activity 4 times a week - brilliant !!!!!!

So 99% perfect !

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

if i ever get left on my own in off to find the hula girls in the south seas...although i might visit bethnnie and see if she stil can wear the garmment lol
    then again i might just actually have time to myself

16. I've been on my own for nearly a year - but unlike some posters, I'm very lucky as I have my 3 boys at home, so to be fair not really on my own!!
    But this time last year, I was in a job I hated and I also had no outside interests....... now I've changed jobs to one I absolutely love, I am out doing some activity 4 times a week - brilliant !!!!!!

So 99% perfect ! [​IMG]

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You could spend some of your newly-found spare time persuading fish to dump their bicycles.

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think the same facts can be seen from different angles...
    I live alone, so I can happily watch the repeat of Suits on Saturday -despite having seen it on Tuesday, and there is noone to ask why I'm watching that again....and I never have to watch rugby or motor racing........on the other hand, there are times I ache to have someone to watch TV with, even if it is only to moan at each other's choices!
    Living alone means I can add extra garlic to my spag bol withou worrying too much about it lingering on my breath....but how I would love the reason for having garlic-less spag bol was to indulge in some smooching!
    I have a bed all to myself and can sprawl over the whole matress and hog the duvet and switch the light on at 6am to read...all without anyone moaning....but I'd gleefully ac cept the occasional moan , if I had someone to share my bed which some nights just seems sooooo big and lonely.
    The trick is to accept the fact that being alone is both great and rubbish at the same time...and to focus as much as possible on the positive.
    If I could work out how to focus solely ont he positive and thoroughly enjoy my single life I could write a best-seller and retire in luxury!

19. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Sole possession of the remote control is great................I've been persuaded to watch snooker and football too many times this week!!

20. Not sure why this posted twice !!!!