1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reasons to resign?????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Oct 13, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Why are you resigning if you don't know why you're resigning?

You don't have to give a reason to resign, incidentally. You can just resign.

2. Sounds to me like you're resigning because you don't want to be a full-time teacher. Is it impacting on your health? Do you feel you don't have time for yourself? Would you work full time if it was in another school? Would you work part-time in your current school? If you're hoping your HT will write a reference for you then I would suggest being clear about reasons for leaving but that you still want to work in education.

3. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Actually I am clear about resigning, i would like to pursue other avenues within education and also at the moment do not want to be working FT in a school. i llike the idea of being flexible and working in different schools, also gives me more options, re other avenues...

i know i don't have to give a reason to the head, but i know the head will ask, therefore am asking in the forum - what i could say......
    If there are suggestions please do write in

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I am probably being slow here, but have you not just stated why you are resigning?

Surely you just tell the head what you told us. Do you want some fun reasons? You could say you are leaving because you want to pursue a career as a pole dancer or crack dealer.

5. Here's a suggestion:

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Happily, I can confirm that being a teacher and a pole dancer are not mutually exclusive.
    Unsure about the moralities re. crack dealing.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Once you see the pay the morals go out the window.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Would work perfectly as a reason to write in your letter to the HT.

Will work for the chit chat that may ensue as a result of the resignation.

9. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

I will not be stating a reason in my resignation letter, just if asked will know what to say, will defi say i would like to pursue other avenues within education.
    Sometimes I can not believe how unorganised a school can get....

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For someone who appears to have pretty disorganised thinking the words 'pot, kettle and black' spring to mind.

Sorry, but it is true.

11. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Actually i do not have disorganised thinking, it is good to ask questions on forums like this, hence me doing so.
    I am unsure how you can compare someone's according to you' disorganised thinking' with the 'disorganisiation of a school'

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because you asked about reasons to give for resigning while giving reasons for resigning. Then you ask how to tell the HT and then that you won't be giving the HT a reason in the letter. And THEN call the school disorganised, which is totally irrelevant to the thread and to your post at the time.

13. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

When I resigned from a job years ago I did not put the reason in my letter, if I remember all I put was
    Dear ( name of head)
    I wish to formly give you notice that as of (date) I wish to submit my resignation from ( job description). I wish to take this opportunity to say that I have enjoyed my time at (name of school).

The reason I was leaving was getting married and moving away, my head knew this.

If you need a reason you could say personal reasons, family commitments or like other posters say what you have said on here.

14. Maybe consider coaching or counselling to help sort your thoughts out? This is absolutely not meant as a put-down, but you mention ill-health and concerns about the school you are in, and it rings bells for me from my past. Talking to someone who will really listen and maybe gently challenge you to work things through might be what you need rather than resigning. Though resigning might give you the space you need. When I was in a similar situation, I did resign, but kept the letter along the lines of looking for new opportunities. And I did then have the time and energy to think straight again. Best wishes.

15. You can apply for anything you like, even before resigning. You can resign without giving a reason. Actually no-one will care about your reasons and you will be replaced. If you want to quit, quit. Your own personal finances are your responsibility.

16. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Thanks for your messages, it feels great that some of you have shared being in a similar situation. Even though i am fairly new teacher, however have been working in education for 12 years, i would like to resign from my perm job and pursue other avenues within education, i guess one reason is as i have not been too well lately i would like to cut my hours for now, but at the same time get exp in other areas within education.
    i know someone mentioned that i can look for jobs now before resigning, i have been looking but am a bit hesistant to contact them as am off sick at the mo. i am kind of waiting till 31st Oct, when i hand the resignation in and then start applying, mainly supply agencies for now.