1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reasons for working abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by alphabite, Sep 10, 2011.

1. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

I am currently writing a letter of application for a job abroad.
    I am struggling to say why I would like to work in this particular country. My reasons are because I need a new challenge (I have said this in my letter in a positive way). I want to bring back a bit of excitement that I lost along the way and I need a change. I genuinely want this job and I am excited about it.
    However it is hard to say why I want to work in this one particular country above any other. It is in Dubai. Any ideas. I think it's just lackng a sentence about the country!

2. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

I am currently writing a letter of application for a job abroad.
    I am struggling to say why I would like to work in this particular country. My reasons are because I need a new challenge (I have said this in my letter in a positive way). I want to bring back a bit of excitement that I lost along the way and I need a change. I genuinely want this job and I am excited about it.
    However it is hard to say why I want to work in this one particular country above any other. It is in Dubai. Any ideas. I think it's just lackng a sentence about the country!

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Dubai is a city and one of the seven emirates that together make up the UAE, so it is not quite accurate to say that Dubai is a country. Perhaps it's not even a city, just a collection of shopping malls intersected by motorways.
    Some people (mostly twentysomethings) love Dubai and some loathe it. As a city, it is definitely an exciting and unusual place. To be honest, I don't think that I would like to live and work there, but maybe I am just a boring old pachyderm.

4. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

I have visited and loved it (for a 2 year contract anyway!)

5. I hope you didn't mention that you had sort of lost your enthusiasm and that is why you would like to try something new....
    'Having visited Dubai on two occasions I feel very strongly that it is place I would love to spend considerable time. The opportunity to work at 'name of school' and reside in Dubai is one that excites me, fills me with anticipation and a offers a real sense of adventure. There is so much about Dubai that I like (list these here - climate, social life, culture (ha ha - don't say that; they'll know you're lying...)). Should I be appointed, I am confident that I would be a valuable addition to the students, staff and parents at the school.' Or something like that.
    Personally, I think the place is a fake shithole, full of fake people...apart from my mates that live there, of course...
    Still, whatever floats your boat.

6. alphabite

alphabite New commenter

no I didn't!

Thanks very much for your suggestions. They are great.

7. M, Stoppers, Dude, BFG, Hippo!
    See that! A 'thank you'. You don't get a lot of that these days, do you?
    Good on yer, alphabite, manners maketh the man..or woman.
    Good luck - even if it is Dubai you're aiming for. [​IMG]

8. Hi there, just read your thread with some interest. I too find myself in the same position, I am currently finishing of a cv. MAybe we could swap ideas/ stories etc - wot you think?

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I wouldn't recommend swapping ideas. Two similar looking letters of application and CVs join each other in the bin.
    Seriously, though, it is not that difficult to write a letter of application.

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Especially if the recruiter/ headteacher reading them is a regular on this forum.

11. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

When I'm working full-time I rarely have much time time to spare on these forums, or the inclination. So I'm surprised that headteachers (or recruiters for that matter) haven't got far better things to do with their time.

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Shame on you Davy lad for repeating the dimmest opinion uttered (two or three times a year) on the forum.
    Heads and recruiters should be slaving away 24/7 with no time for online frivolity?
    (or offering serious helpful advice, which is not unknown from Senior Persons on here, and which is occasionally appreciated by youngsters who haven't yet reached the know-it-all done-it-all stage)
    David, I am a rolling-eyed, foaming-mouthed maniac and it takes me just seconds to write a hundred words of drivel to instruct, entertain or abuse the other drooling chuckleheads on here..
    Although a member of the weaker sex, I can multitask, negotiating a pay rise, firing a hapless colleague, filling in my euromillions lottery ticket, constructing a ToK lesson, slurping a quadruple vodkatini and planning the evening's sumptious dinner all at the same time as typing twaddle.
    And sometimes I have what teenagers call 'free time', which I use for solitary vice just as they do.
    Oh, and I'm also an insomniac print junkie, who (let me shock you David) not only blathers in this circus but also on a cricket forum, a literature forum and an opera one.
    All while leading a brilliant school and performing as a single dad while Lady D studies for her masters in the UK.
    Today I shopped, walked, cooked, read, dozed, e-mailed and watched Wales v South Africa and Cosi fan Tutte on TV (it was a Sunday, in case you were too busy to notice, so didn't feel obliged to do more than six hours of school work) and am currently looking at American Football while typing this, guzzling the last beer of the evening and advising my daughter on her Critical Thinking essay.
    It's called having a life, David, and you have just missed out on the chance to be recruited online via PM to our wonderful Maths department next year.
    There. That rant took five precious minutes. Guess I should have used them to send a group e-mail to all staff reminding them not to waste any time at all at school tomorrow.
    Which is a Monday, big D. Use it wisely, my boy, for 12th September, 2011 is a day which will never come around again.

13. Ooh, I think you are inclined more than you think, SuperDave.
    What do you think HTs do, SD? Prepare lessons, mark books, prepare sparkling assemblies? Well, maybe a few minutes on the last one.
    I reckon they have more time than your average indian to browse through these pages. Every now and then, they get to spot a **** that they would never employ.

14. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

You're not on that list yet, Imperial Imposter.
    In fact when the PM campaign begins, you may get an offer to coach our magnificent Rugby team... and supervise the spotless state of our showers.
    I felt sorry for the Welsh boys today, a rare emotion in someone who has lived so many years in Bristol and Shrewsbury.
    Could 'Getling' be an anglicising of the Wesh 'Gethyn' ?

15. I have Welsh friends who readily admit they could never support England against anyone even if my life depended on it, but I was fired up for Wales tonight. They were the better team, should have won, could have won, but didn't. Nothing to do with the 'good kick', but crucial errors by the taffs when they should have scored points. I genuinely hope they get to the quarters.
    I already coach a magnificent rugby team, but the offer is very flattering.
    I had forgotten about the multi-named poster who was obsessed with my obsession with showers - perhaps he died. He concocted enough illnesses to eventually pick up a genuine one up!
    Doesn't matter, there are no Welsh people called Dave. David, yes, but not Dave. Or George, but the big Welsh winger is called Goerge, but then, he is English!

16. A Sterling Professor Harold Bloom in our midst. Mind you, HE doesnt write drivel.
    [​IMG]

17. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We should be so lucky.
    No, indeed.
    Long(er) life to the old boy.
    But has he ever even tried to write a Limerick? Or wanted to ply his trade in Dubai?

18. Probably not, but please, let me dedicate one to him...
    'There once was a Harold Bloom
    I've never f****n' heard of him'

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

My old friend Professor Bloom tells me it derives from the Old Norse suffix '-ling' denoting a diminutive, as in:
    getling (nm) a little get

20. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

But let's not be too harsh.
    I hope I wasn't unduly offensive, but I dislike being told how to spend my time by anyone not on the following list: wife, mother, daughter, secretary, ToK co-ordinator, board chairman, head of PTA, psychotherapist, personal trainer, dominatrix.
    Don't go away, Davy m'boy - the forum is understaffed at the moment, with several regulars apparently sidelined, either through retirement, death, born-again Christainity or taking your puritanical advice and abjuring frivolity.
    So we need all the gets we can get.